Enthroned in purple

While spring is debating whether or not to get going, the crocus scattered throughout my yard (spreading spontaneously!) are in full bloom. This is a 10 shot stack where I wanted just the tops of the stamen and pistils sharp. (7D2, 180mm macro, 1/250 s, f/14, iso 800, tripod)

1 Like

This is lovely. Great colors and detail. It gives me something to look forward to. It snowed here last night - what a difference!

A stacked photo of this quality shows us a common flower in a completely new way. Did you use a mini-tripod to get very low, or was this flower on something raised?

Wonderful shot, Mark! Sharp image of the stamen and pistils of bright, warm and saturated color stands out nicely. Composition and combination of colors are simple and perfect. I like the minimalistic approach of “less is more”.

@Mike_Friel , used my only tripod, which gets low. The flower was in the ground.

Gorgeous! The selective stack here worked very well.

Mark: It’s too warm here for crocus so I envy you the opportunity. I like this frame filling view and the marvelous details you achieved with the stack. Top notch. >=))>

I used to love seeing the arrival of crocus blooms. Too warm where I live. Gorgeous details here. Do you manually adjust the focus ring, or use a rail and move the camera? Either way, congrats on the result!

@Mark_Muller I’m a minimal gear type, so this is focus adjustment. While there are subtle differences between images taken with the two approaches, today’s software doesn’t care as long as you have overlapped areas of sharpness.

I missed this one, Mark. I love the color contrast. You do such a great job with the stacks. I have yet to try doing it. Maybe one day. Getting a shot like this is enough to inspire me.