Crocus in first morning light

This image taken in the early morning in my neighbor’s garden.

Specific Feedback Requested

Would like feedback on composition. Specifically, I chose not to do a focus stack, but rather keep focus to the front edges to highlight the dew drops. I think it worked.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus 60mm macro lens - handheld. ISO 800, f/7.1, 1/125 sec.

billreichphoto

Not stacking emphasizes the perfect placement of light on the upper edges of the flower. The dew is wonderfully sharp, but falls off naturally in the shaded areas. The symmetry is really pleasing, but maybe a little more room at the bottom would improve it. Well done and I’m a wee bit jealous of all you southerners.

1 Like

Thanks Kristen, This is really helpful. I think I will keep experimenting with the selective focusing and leave the stacking to different circumstances. You are right about the room at the bottom - I think I cropped to tight to eliminate part of the stem. Don’t worry, Spring is coming to all of us. :blush:

Wonderful choice of focus – stacking not needed here! Sometimes I’ll stack just a few right at the tip to get that area in.

Thank you Diane. Bill

Bill: I like your DOF/POF choice here. In combination with the light this works really well for me. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Bill, this looks very good and shows of both the dew and the petal tips well. The “overlapping triangle” of petal tips fits the square frame very well.

Bill, I like the square crop for this image. Love the lighting on the edges, and the color of the flower. The dew drops are a very nice plus.

Bill
This is outstanding. Congratulations on the WO! Well deserved