Dwarfed + Repost

These gulls (I think) were congregated in the shallow water on top part of this iceberg. It was a bit of a happy accident that I managed to get the two that are in the frame. Their position is not the best, but I liked that I had one flying with wings up. I guess the big and small could apply to the birds or the “small” ice chunk contrasted against the main iceberg which is barely seen in this image.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This was taken from a sailboat, although I think we were just floating at the time. I made some highlight and shadow adjustment, and a fairly severe levels adjustment to stretch the histogram.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying this shot and it fits the theme nicely. The gull helps give a sense of scale

@Allen_Brooks I’m glad you are enjoying it. I do regret the position of the birds, but I felt like they still helped communicate the scale. Thanks for your input.

Karla, I too am delighted with this interpretation of big and small. At first I was seeing the small berg in front of the much larger berg, but the gulls are a fine extra. The variety of blue tones throughout the image stand out well. I do think that cloning out the black bit in the lower left would be good.

@Mark_Seaver Yes, somehow the ice had a dirty spot and it would make a better image if I got rid of it. I’m still working on gearing my mind towards “cleanup” of items. I have to get past feeling like I’m hiding something. :grin:

Hello Karla, the blueness is very striking in this image and emotionally soothing. The big-small contrast is very obvious and I was wondering if the baby berg just “fell out” of mom, leaving that big space. But, my imagination may be running amok too, lol. Technically, I would wish for the hole and baby a bit more off-center to the left, and that little dark spot could be easily cloned out so as not to distract. The birds play an important role in scale. BTW, love that little image next to your name too.

@Jim_Lockhart Thanks for your comments, Jim. I actually agree with you on the baby berg. :slight_smile: With that ice mark on the big berg being an apparent outline of it, it really doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch. This was actually a very relaxing trip, floating around among ice bergs with nothing to do but enjoy the scenery and take pictures. :wink:

I am uploading one without the black spot and cropped to 3x4 to shift the hole slightly left. I think that could use more work, possibly, but there were other parts I didn’t think I wanted to lose. I’m also loading a second image with only one bird but it looks a little more left. In looking through my series, the little one is pretty well stuck in that same spot.

2 Likes

Wow, your last post really added some drama to the whole scene Karla and is my personal fav. Can see more of the big berg, giving more sense of its size, and those vertical lines above the hole are really interesting too. Nice edits!

@Jim_Lockhart - Thanks, Jim. I was thinking of the horizontal lines on the right, so I appreciate your perspective. It really was hard to miss with such an interesting subject. There were two holes almost aligned on separate “wings” of the iceberg and a different view at every angle.

Karla: Your last wider shot is my favorite for comp and the details included. A marvelous experience for you and wonderful images. >=))>
PS: I edited your title to reflect the repost. You can do that yourself and its always a good idea to do so so that others will know to revisit the image.

@Bill_Fach Thanks for your comments and also the tip for reposting.

An excellent and unique image, Karla! Perfect for the challenge because it has two size comparisons for the price of one :wink: My favorite is the second version with the left crop and keeping the flying gull which seems to make the large berg seem even more massive.

@Gary_Minish Thanks for your input on cropping in from the left as well. Maybe I should consider another crop on some of my other images that had a bit more space, but I think this is the only one where I caught a gull in the air. It was a bargain photo at two for one, as you say. :grinning:

Karla, the “show what was there” vs “show what I wish was there” question abounds in nature photography. There’s a philosophical line that I think we all need to find for ourselves. That even extends to “distractions”, which sometimes I’ll remove and sometimes I’ll leave in depending on the effect and the story. I see some “distractions” as adding additional elements to the story while others simply interfere with the viewing.

Mark, Thanks for sharing your perspective. I have a few ideas I’ve heard that I think of quite a bit out of all of the sometimes loud and usually varying voices on the subject. This is another consideration.