Early morning catch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken during a vacation on Sri Lanka. Beautiful early mornings during stolls along the beach. I wanted so much to capture the emotion of serenity and peace, which I imaged that is what this guy was feeling.

Technical Details

ISO 125
f 11
1/200 s
Canon G7X

This does look very peaceful Gary. The quiet subtle color in the sky add well to the peaceful feeling. I do see a slightly dark rim around the fisherman. Did you burn him in to create a silhouette?

1 Like

Hi Gary,
that looks really beautiful. The scene radiates a calmness.
When I look at your picture, I realize why this time of day is called the golden hour.

I agree with @Mark_Seaver about the dark halo around the person. Sometimes that kind of halo is created by applying a heavy orton effect on contrasty parts of an image.

In addition, there is a detail that somewhat catches my attention. Itā€™s the cloud and the bright sun spot at the top right of the image. In my opinion, the quiet mood wood benefit from the removal of this distraction.

I just warped the image slightly to pull out the cloud out of the frame.

Again, a very nice image. Your picture makes you want to enjoy the sunset on this beach.

1 Like

Hi Mark!
Thanks for the feedback. Actually no, I havenā€™t done anything in particular with the fisherman. I only slightly decreased the highlights overall. Hmmā€¦ interestingšŸ˜Š

Hi Jens!
Thanks for the your interesting feedback. I havenā€™t purposely applied any orton effect. However, what you (and Mark) see could be due to the slight decrease in texture I applied. And yes, I agree with you regarding how you re-cropped the image.:blush:

Itā€™s possible that its a natural lighting effect. Another thing that can produce ā€œhalosā€ is clarity (also known as microcontrast). I donā€™t see how reducing the highlights would create such an effect.

1 Like

Hi Gary,
I havenā€™t been fishing in ages; since I was a teenager; and I remember always finding it relaxing as I am sure this fisherman does. I am enjoying the mood and light in this scene as well as the small tweaks from @Jens_Ober. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Great that it brought back those nice memoriesšŸ˜Š Thanks for the feedback.