Early morning on the Shire River - Completely reworked

Early coffee break on a game drive. I liked the view.

Specific Feedback Requested

General

Technical Details

Leica CL, Vario-Elmar T 55-135.

Jaapv, I like this image very much. I like the softness you gave it. The image didn’t look straight to me, so I downloaded it and opened it up in Photoshop. It was going downhill so I straightened it. I also tried a crop that I thought helped to guide you eye more down the center. You may or may not like it, but I’ll post what I did. Nice job.

1 Like

I think you might be right, hard to tell on this type of landscape. Thanks for the kind words. :blush:

Not sure about losing the righthand corner, though

Be sure to crop it the way you think it looks best to you. My way is just a suggestion :blush: You have a nice photo anyway you decide to go with.

Lovely misty scene! @Donna_Callais is right about the horizon being crooked and she nailed it exactly. Plenty of visual clues here, such as water surfaces against the rocks. Pulling up the UL corner with Distort would allow the corner to be kept, if you prefer. I would consider lowering its saturation a little, though. I think the tree on the right is very pretty and wish the camera had been aimed just a bit more to the right.

Thanks! This inspired me to rework the image completely! What do you think?

Hi Jaapv,

The edit and crop looks really good to me!

The others were right about the image leaning to the left, it’s a technical thing that needed to be addressed.

The amount of crop and where it’s cropped is all up to you.
Having said that, I like your choice of crop in the latest version because I think it looks better without the FG rocks and… it turned it into more of a panoramic view that compliments the wide river.

My attention is pulled through the center and into the distant part of the river where the foggy or hazy atmosphere is most prominent.

Very nice scene and good job on capturing it. Post processing looks good as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your rework really works. I think this is an exceptional look at a landscape that I am not familiar with. Like @Merv I am pulled into the distant area and drawn into the wonderful geography.

2 Likes

Actually this is a very interesting geography. When Africa tore in two and the Great Rift Valley was created , this area was at the “hinge” of the tear in the tectonic plate. The volcanic action must have been spectacular and this landscape was created. All these rocks are volcanic. Lake Malawi is the most southerly of the lake system, which includes Lake Victoria, Lake Tanganyika, etc.
The Shire River is unusual in that it flows out of the lake and drains into the Zambezi River which runs down to the Indian Ocean. It was used by Livingstone to get inland from the coast. When he discovered the lake he named it “Lake of Stars” for the reflections when he first saw it. He then pushed North into Zambia and Tanzania.

Interesting story, Jaapv. I like you’re rework very much. Great job!!!

1 Like