Early Morning Reflection

This is the north side of the Scottsbluff National Monument in Nebraska. For the last couple of months we have had clear skies and smoke from the western fires so I did not shot very much at all. But yesterday morning the weather look promising so I went out. I have shot this location in winter and fall. I wanted to get an image with greenery but nothing was working this summer until now.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feed back is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, 17mm, 0.5 sec, ISO 100, Tripod, remote shutter release

1 Like

It’s amazing what clouds can do to a scene. And if they’re also being reflected all the better. Yes, clouds really make this image.

Yes these clouds are amazing and they really do carry the image here. Your persistence paid off as you waited out the clear skies and smoke, and got these beautiful clouds. I also like that you placed the horizon line off center, that works really well for this image. I know you said you were trying for the greenery here, which I thinks works well. But with clouds like this, it would also make a killer B&W image.

My only suggestion is a minor nitpick, to remove some white lines that are along the left and right edges. I’m not sure what they are but to me they are a minor distraction. In the image below, I have circled them in red.

It’s a wonderful scene and those clouds and reflections really make the difference. Really nice!