Early Morning

I was going through some older images and found this one that has never been posted. It was take at sunrise at Buffalo Creek Wildlife Management Area in the panhandle of Western Nebraska.

Canon 40D, Sigma 17-70, 17 mm, ISO 100, 1/10 sec, f20, manual, tripod

I would appreciate any feedback on the image.

2 Likes

An absolutely gorgeous capture, Richard. I love how the plants in the foreground mimic the sun rays. And the colors and processing appear very nice to me.

The only nit I would have is that while I realize your tripod and camera were undoubtedly level, the natural slope of the horizon appears to slope down slightly to the left to my eye. Also, you might consider cloning out the little grasses that jut in from the bottom or selectively darken them.

Cheers!
Adam

Real nice prairie scene, Richard. I am with Adam on a rotation and cloning the bright tops of the plants sticking up in the foreground. Otherwise, looks quite nice to my eye.

Eastern Oregon looks much like this and I’ve really like this type of habitat. This captures that scenery very nicely with a fine composition that’s thoughtfully put together. I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the halo processing artifact between the sky and land. It can be readily seen in the largest version.

Richard,
This has a wide open feel to it that is very appealing and that sunrise with those rays and clouds is glorious! Looks like a great way to start the day. I only have a couple of small suggestions. The first would be to clone out half dozen or so pieces of brush that is intruding in the middle of the bottom edge and there looks to be a little haloing along the horizon and the hillside. This is well worth tweaking IMO. Beautiful scene.

Richard,

Three things.

1. Seems tilted CCW.
  2. I did not mind the little plant tops in the FG until others mentioned it.
  3. I feel the sky is a bit to hot. If possible I would bring it down just a bit.

Richard,

Good to see a post from you. A glorious sunrise for sure.

Aside from the mentioned tips along the bottom edge (easy enough to take care of) I could see some selective dodging in the plants to actually bring more attention to them, which would also connect them better to the glorious sky.

I would agree on dropping the brighter brights in the sky a bit.

And also, good eye from Igor, but what’s happening just about the entire length of the horizon is pretty obvious in the large view. Weird, I can’t say I’ve seen anything like that. A bit towards chromatic aberration along the top of the bluff on the right, but otherwise, I can’t explain why that edge between the sky and land is so bright. Almost a “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” :wink:

Lon