Wonderful Light

I have gone to this spot several times lately. A few days ago the conditions seemed very favorable at sunrise. The clouds were heavier to the east then I wanted, but I set up and waited. The sun came up through a break in the clouds at the horizon and turned everything pink and red and beautiful. The colors were almost ever saturated and the images that the saturation slider was pushed clear to the right in post processing. This is my favorite from the morning as the clouds started to break over the area I was at. This is Scotts Bluff National Monument reflected in a pond to the north. I appreciate any and all feedback. It all helps me improve.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, 17 mm, 2.5 sec, f16, ISO 100, Tripod and remote release. Cropped to pano. IMG_7272|690x329

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

What a sight this must’ve been. Just sit back and enjoy. This is how all mornings should begin.

Beautiful tranquil sunrise. Great light and color and very well done all around. Getting really picky, maybe clone out the branches coming in from the side at the top of the tree line? Like I said, getting really nitty. It is a beauty.

What a beautiful sunrise, these are the type of conditions that photographers dream about, but don’t happen that often. You were very fortunate to experience this sunrise, and in such an interesting looking location as well. I like your choice to go panoramic, it’s perfect for this image. Processing looks good to me, the colors are warm, but not over-done. Your processing conveys a very soothing mood.

My only nitpick is that I’m not sure about the leveling of the horizon(s). This may be an optical illusion, but the horizon on the right shoreline looks level, but the horizon below the butte looks tilted left. I think my brain wants to see the shoreline below the butte leveled, because that’s where the main subject is. This would tilt the right shoreline down, but I think that looks natural (eg. the left shoreline is tilted, but looks okay).

Stunning! All said above! My first thought (well, second, after WOW!) was that the horizon is not level. The shoreline on the right is angled toward the viewer and would not be level. I’d try leveling the horizontal stratum just above the trees at the base of the butte.

Wonderful colors Richard, and the comp works well with that placement of the bluff. To my eye the contrast looks just a little harsh, almost a touch of HDR. It might be worth softening that just a bit. Here’s an example to compare (I also took out a dust bunny):