First Light

First light on the old Robidoux road south of Scottsbluff. I appreciate any and all comments and critiques.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20, 1 sec, f

10, 10 mm, ISO 400, manual, tripod and remote release

If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice sunrise scene, Richard. This is about the sky, and it looks great; nice color, detail, and varied clouds. Looking at the ‘thumb’ it felt a little dark, but the large version opens up nicely. My only nit, and a minor one, is the dark bits along the lower left and bottom left edges.

Well done, sir!
–P

Beautiful sky and the road works well as the lead in. Real nice scene.

Fabulous photo! Not because your version needs improvement, but because I am bored, I played with it. I increased the brightess in the center/lower part using a curves adjustment with this mask:

52%20PM

Here’s the end result:

1 Like

Richard,

A glorious scene and sunrise for sure. These are the moments that just stop us and make us want to just absorb in silence. Of course, if you have the camera in hand, why not enjoy the silence AND capture the moment? :smile:

Colors and luminosity look great given that moment of time in the day. I like the inclusion of the road, although I think you’ve just barely included enough of it. I suppose much more of the road and it could be a distraction, hard to say. But as presented, I think the presence of the road is an asset.

Beautifully captured.

Lon

Glorious sky Richard! I hope you had a bit of coffee to sip while you enjoyed that.