Eastern Bluebird Action

Enjoyable bird to shoot because of its bright colors.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5dsr with 100x400x1.4 lens at f-14, 1/1000 sec and iso 1000.

elwise44
1 Like

Hi John,

This is very colorful and the bluebird taking off from a perch provides context for the action. I wish the BG was not as busy and also wish for more space on the left. Very nice pose and I do like the blues with the warm tones of the surrounding area. Well done…Jim

I like the take off pose and the colors are very nice. I also like the perch with the moss. I wish the head was sharper - I think you might be able to increase shutter speed to around 1/2500s and use a wider aperture to increase sharpness on the bird in motion.

Good catch, Wayne. I agree with Jim on the space to the left. The bird has so much energy directed in that direction that it needs more room over there. I also agree with Allen on the shutter speed. Small birds move amazingly fast. In our relatively dark area I have very few images of birds taking off that are were successful-just not enough light most of the year, though I may emulate David Schoen and go with super high iso to see if I can make it work.

Hi John
Love Blue Birds. Off hand, you would think 1/1000 would produce a nice clean shot. The action and color is great. You could darken or defocus the background. This would give the Blue Bird little more punch.
Peter

Hi John! What a beautiful photo! It almost doesn’t even look real with all the bright colors! I really love it and with the wings out spread like that you really get more of that beautiful blue color! Great capture!

Thanks to all for your helpful and informative suggestions. I will redo the shot later today and do a repost. Again, thanks to all for your valuable input.
Wayne

Re-Post for alternative view to address previous suggestions.

Hi Wayne. I like the new crop a lot better. Well done.

Well done John to catch the action. Lovely colors. I kind of liked the first one but could see bit of room added on left side but keeping bg. And agree with the comments opening lens up and using 1/2500 ss or so. I like the nice mossy stump.