Eastern Fence Lizard & repost & another 2 reposts showing original size photos

In the summer when hiking up Breakneck Ridge trail if you’re quiet enough you usually can see and get close to the different lizards and skinks sunning themselves on the boulders along the trail. This Eastern Fence Lizard was shedding its skin.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the crop ok? Is the blurred part ok? Trying to focus on the face and eye everything else lost focus, I guess I needed a smaller aperture?
Anything else.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 400
260mm
f/6
1/640
Crop and tried to tone down the BG green to give a more gray hue, so that different shades of gray are apparent for the one color weekly challenge.

naturenessie

Wow, what great camouflage these guys have.

With an image like this, one with part of the animal cut off at the legs, I’d crop more. It’s kind of a rule of nature photography that legs and/or wings either be eliminated or fully shown in a photo. Like when people take a picture of someone and cut off their feet. It just looks weird. So I’d crop more. You have the face basically in focus so it should be ok. Try a square and see how you like it. Great eye contact with this guy!

He’s even giving you the old stink-eye! Great camouflage. I don’t know if a smaller aperture would have gotten him all in focus. Maybe pulling back a bit would have been better.

1 Like

@terryb @Kris_Smith
Here’s a tighter crop which I originally had in my files, does it look better?..

2 Likes

Overall, yes. If you can center the head a tad more it would improve, but it’s pretty nice.

@Kris_Smith I can, but then there’ll be half green in the image , I just wanted to get more gray in it for the challenge!:slight_smile: which is why I had put more of the lizard there . That’s probably silly.

Vanessa, the camo of greys in both the fence and the lizard look very good and the greenish background coordinates well. Getting it’s rear sharper in the original post would have been good. Your crop is a fine “head shot”, although the smaller size de-emphasizes the grey tones somewhat.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver Hi Mark, Thanks for your feedback, this was actually the original image that I cropped…

And I just wanted to show you another shot I got of him with the whole tail. What should’ve I done with my camera to get the whole body sharp? Smaller aperture? I wouldn’t want to be any further, the one I submitted I was slightly closer, which is how I do it with animals I keep taking photos as I inch slowly closer as I always want the closest shot possible but I don’t want to miss a shot even if I’m further away …