Eastern Forktail

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

Badger, my sick Bernese Mountain Dog has fully recovered enabling me to head out for a few minutes in the morning. Then I needed to get some work done around the house! I found this backlit damselfly and decided that this background was too good to pass up. I used some fill flash starting at -1.7ev and then cranked it up to 0.0ev to compensate for the bright BG. This one was shot at the original flash setting so subject brightness was handled in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Feedback Requested

I cropped slightly, and bumped up the subject’s brightness. How do you like the overall brightness of the subject? I chose this amount to reveal the subtle blues present on its body.

Technical Details

Camera: NIKON Z 9
Lens: VR 105mm f/2.8G
Focal length: 105mm
Shutter speed: 1/125s
Aperture: f/16
ISO: 640

1 Like

Jim: Masterfully done IMO. The detail in the eye is especially well done and I agree with you regarding the BG. Works great with this subject. Also glad to hear that your canine friend is recovering. Sounds like a good day all around.>=))>

Very nice Jim. I really like the background color. It really helps set off the dragonfly. Nice job.

Very well done, Jim. You managed the light very well, and he is sharp from stem to stern. Glad to hear your furry friend has recovered.

Gorgeous image!! I think the balance of light on the subject and BG is excellent – there is obvious backlight but there is detail in both subject and BG. Wonderful job of getting the subject square to the focal plane! (Or the focal plane square to the subject…)