Eastern Forktail, female

This immature female Eastern Forktail (Ischnura verticalis) spent a week hanging around in the plants in my pond, mostly well hidden. One reason for its disappearance is that the mature female is a light bluish-gray, which is much harder to spot. In this case there was a clear view and it was close enough to fill the frame nicely as it munched on a small insect for its breakfast. (7D2, 180 mm macro, 1/200 s, f/9, iso 800, tripod)

2 Likes

Mark, this is just outstanding. These guys are so tiny, and a bit skittish, I have found, so capturing a shot like this my :billed_cap: is off to you. The nice perch is sharp as well, and I like that it fills the bottom right corner of the frame, balanced nicely with a smooth darker green upper left corner. To capture him eating is a real bonus. :+1: :+1:

Tremendous…perfect. Can’t find anything I’d change. Congrats

Truly wonderful Mark. Very nicely done.

Mark: My only criticism of this image is the level of envy it has triggered in my mind. Could not imagine any way to improve upon this spectacular capture. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Mark, Beautiful image. great colors, love the backlighting of both the spider and the grass blade. You’ve got it all in one focal plane. Terrific background also. Food in his mouth is a plus.

A real sweet photo. There is lots to like about it including the diagonals. It seems to make it really solid. And the shadows are a real nice touch.

Demsel Lunch !!. Beautiful catch Mark. Beautifully composed too, and nice bg. The beauty stands out very well.
Balan Vinod

Hi Mark,

You are very patient as these are flighty little damsels. BG has enough variation and the damselfly is tack sharp. I certainly can find no fault with this image and find it awesome as presented. :beer: :beer:

As Always,

Jim

Outstanding Mark, the color contrast with the dragonfly and the color of the leaf and background are wonderful. Also what adds to the photo image is the angle you captured the subject,

Just wonderful, Mark. I echo all the positive comments above. Terrific image.