Echo Lake

Echo Lake, NH
Would like to know which crop is preferred

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Beautiful! I’m liking the more panoramic crop. It feels more serene. I think it is the exclusion of the lower parts of the two light tree reflections. Including the “bottom” tips, gives the left part of the frame more weight and makes it a bit unbalanced to the left. Just gorgeous, at any rate.

Less is usually more, and this case is no exception for me. The trees are more interesting to me than their reflection, so the second image works better for me. I think the second image also makes the leading line of the shoreline more pronounced and dominant in the composition.

Otherwise the processing here looks great, I really like the warm glow created by this soft light.

Its hard to choose. I like the inclusion of the reflection and the ripples caused by the movement in the water in the foreground (1st) posted image. Either one would make a nice print on metal.

Definitely the tighter crop for me. The colors and trees jump out at me far more in that one. Looks really good.

Michael, What a beautiful autumn picture this is. Nice color and light with a wonderful glow. The second image seems to work a little better for me but both are excellent.

Beautiful autumn scene! I prefer the second one as well, more serene especially due to the reflections, and the river/shore stand out much better.

Michael,

Beautiful autumn scenic. I love the shoreline and also how the lake/reflection ties the bg foliage together with the rest of the scene and fall colors.

As much as I like your original post - I would agree with most others that I think the cropped, narrower format works best. The only thing I might suggest in the cropped version is to do some minor CA-cloning of the reflected trunk as it meets the bottom edge (or burning, or something to reduce the bottom, reflected trunk) - not a big deal though.

Beautiful image, beautifully processed.

Lon

Second one for me as well, Mike. I do not think you can go wrong with either version as the scene is quite beautiful. That small crop seems to tighten up the image just enough to place more of an emphasis on those lovely trees while still leaving all that gorgeous color with the reflection. My only suggestion would be to tone down those rocks on the far shoreline just a touch as they tug my eye slightly.