Edge of Day

Another sunrise and another take of that “shark toothed” unnamed peak in the Sierra. I tried to line up the granite fissures the best I could but my first objective was avoiding a morning dipping as the water at the edge of this rock was probably 6 feet deep…

Blend of two exposures for dynamic range.
5DSr, 16-35 f/4 @ 17mm

1 Like

Dave: Love the comp and subject and really envy you the experience. The reflection of the sky seeming to be brighter than the sky bends my mind a little but I do like the result. Nicely done.>=))>

Great reflection and graphic composition. I would be inclined to crop some off the bottom, as the big rock overwhelms the image a bit to my eye. Otherwise, looks real nice.

Wow, there are so many triangles in this image. I really like the restricted color palette in this image. It’s a really fine image. Everything goes to the right a bit but I don’t find much issue with that. I like the bottom rock as is but I’m looking through an iPhone. I think it’s texture adds a lot.

Really cool shark fin. Nice find with all the geometry going on. Agree with Harley about the crop.

Oh, wow, this is so good. :+1: All those triangles make it so energetic. That contrasts well with the subdued color palette. Nice tension. I’m with the other on the crop to make that bottom rock triangle of a similar size to the others.

This is simply stellar Dave. No one is going to complain about this one being left heavy :grin: You have so many diagonal left to right leading lines, it isn’t funny.

I love the cooler WB here, it creates a very powerful mood. And there are so many triangle shapes in this. comp, that I’ve lost count. Outstanding work…

Dave,

Despite the later hour and subsequent subdued colors, to me this is a far superior image than your last post. Now that previous post was pretty spectacular, so that should say something about how much I’m loving this one.

As already noted, the graphic nature and geometric design is just stellar. IMHO, I wouldn’t crop anything for fear of reducing the graphic shapes and geometry.

I do agree with comment that top is just slightly darker relative to the reflection and granite at the bottom. I could see bumping the luminosity a 1/2 stop or so above the snow. Would love to see more luminance on the rock fin. If any crop, maybe shaving a smidge off the top.

Fabulous High Sierra image.

Lon

I agree with Lon that this image bests the previous one from the same location. I really like this one, the textures and shapes–truly wonderful.
ML

Great soft yet dramatic colours that show off the moodiness of this very pointy and triangular scene. I think there is a slight mismatch in the lighting balance between immediate foreground, top and reflection of the top section evident within the picture as a whole.

This is stunning Dave. Wonderful graphics and use of diagonals. I’ll echo Lon’s comment about raising the luminance of the shark fin.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, @Bill_Fach, @Harley_Goldman, @Igor_Doncov, @Wade_Thorson, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Ed_McGuirk, @Lon_Overacker, @Marylynne_Diggs, @Ian_Cameron, @Eva_McDermott,
I toned down the brightness of the foreground rock and reflections and will mull over a slight crop off the bottom. As always great input.

Love it for all the reasons noted above. The composition is really striking.

My suggestion would be to consider bumping the saturation excepting blue and cyan; I like the way that warms it a little.

Hi Dave, looks like your still producing some sweet Sierra alpine images. Love this one and I agree with Harley about taking a bit off the bottom. Very nice.

That east ridge would be a great climb! Nice color and details. I agree with Harley about cropping a bit from the bottom.

A real beauty, Dave. This has a wonderful depth to it, almost a 3D effect. I really like Harley’s crop suggestion as well as John’s saturation suggestion. I think both of these suggestion would really help.