El Chifon

Recent trip to the state of Chiapas in southern Mexico. I found an exuberant nature, beyond what I had imagined. This waterfall is one of the most beautiful I have visited, maybe my photo does not show all its splendor.

Specific Feedback Requested

My main concern in this shot is the management of dark areas. I’m not sure if I keep the play of dark lights that the scene showed

Technical Details

6 Likes

Augusto,

This is am amazing scene. The lighting is absolutely phenomenal, almost magical, something fantasy-like. How did you pull off such a fast shutter speed to freeze the water with such low light throughout? Very nice. I don’t think I would change a thing.

Augustine, I too love the lighting. It isn’t often that looking through wooded areas there is found such an open lightness in the scene.

Augusto,

This is beautiful! Wow, what a wonderful scene, front to back. I was initially drawn to the line of trees and how they filled and framed the waterfall and stream. As mentioned, the light is beautiful as well.

I’m curious too on your settings. How you were able to get good detail front to back AND a relative fast shutter speed. This of course is a personal preference, but I’m wondering if you have any frames with a longer shutter speed? I think mostly I would like to see the water softer, at least in the little cascade in the front of the image.

The only other suggestion might be to pull out a little more detail/luminosity in the tree and shore on the right side of the image. Not a huge deal, but could balance things a little bit.

Minor stuff as this is most certainly a gorgeous scene. Great comp and overall wonderful presence. Thanks for sharing!

Lon

Love this image. Having photographed rain forests in Guatemala I can understand how you experienced this wonderful light. I wouldn’t change a thing. Part of the beauty of rain forests is their darkness and yet the wonderful light that does penetrate.

That is amazing light Augusto! It really does look like a few Hobbits might come strolling by. If I had any criticism it might be that you could crop out a bit of the bottom edge? There’s less interest there than in the top 2/3rds. Beautiful image.

1 Like

Love the light and composition Augusto! The fallen tree and then the other trees in a a Fibonacci sequence leading to the big falls, the misty air in the background all work together to make this a fabulous image.

This is very nice! I do see why you’re concerned with the dark areas, especially the right 1/3rd. It does take up a lot of real estate and doesn’t have much visual interest… maybe just accentuate some of the mid-tones and highlights over there?

This is stunning!! I agree about wishing the shutter speed was a bit slower for the water, though. Do you have several otherwise identical exposures? They can be stacked and the water movement between them can be averaged to give the look of a slower speed.

Beautiful scene and atmosphere Augusto. I like the composition as-is – I find the darker, somewhat ominous areas really push me to want to spend my time on that lovely plateau in the middle of the shot.