Juan Diego

This is my first post. The Juan Diego waterfall in El Yunque National Park is a tropical rainforest.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

And a beauty of a first post it is. Congratulations for getting right out in it and giving us this immersive composition. For the most part the whites are tamed, although in the falls themselves, they look a little hot. The shadows seem to be holding detail well and the greens look natural. You didn’t talk about your processing so I’m not sure what to suggest there because I don’t know your toolset, but if you’re a Photoshop user and have a luminosity masking panel plug in, you could do some sculpting in the water. I’ve done it myself and it’s always enhanced my long exposure work.

Looks like a beautiful place and I’m excited to see more from your island. I’ve never been and now think that I really should.

1 Like

Welcome aboard and excellent first post. I really like the perspective and the processing looks really good to my eye. I can’t think of anything I would change. Well done.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Augusto, this is a great first post !! I look forward to seeing more of your work here.
I love the low perspective here, it adds a very dynamic feeling to the composition. And the diagonal visual flow of this image is very powerful, it just pulls my eye down the lovely flow of the river. And I think your processing of luminosity and saturation in the green vegetation is handled very well.

My only suggestion would be to darken the highlights in the white water along the right edge of the frame (thats to the right of and below the waterfall). I think it’s bright enough to pull my eye away the diagonal flow of the stream to the falls.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN. Great first post with a very dynamic image. I would add to @Ed_McGuirk comments is that highlight area on the right edge of the image seems a bit bright but also what makes it stand out is it has a cooler temperature maybe there is a bit of open sky reflecting in that spot to make it brighter and a bit more blue. Your image is very strong and well done. I’ve included a reworked image with a few minor changes but this is just down to personal taste. I applied a brush in LR to add +20 to the yellow side of white balance and highlights -11. A second brush just to open the shadows very slightly on upper left. lastly a linear gradient on the bottom section to open the shadows slightly (shadows +28, whites +2)

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Augusto. What a wonderful little waterfall and stream. I think you’ve captured it well. And the processing looks fine. Well done. Hope to see more of your work soon.

Thank you very much for your comment, I have felt very welcome here. Certainly managing white balance is always a challenge for me. I will take note of his recommendations. In case you visit Puerto Rico, do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you very much for your comment, you have been very kind to me

Thank you very much for your comment. I’m going to reprocess the photo to work on the highlights

Thank you very much for your comment. I love your version of the photo. Soon I will work my power to publish my version with your suggestions.

Thank you very much for your comment.