Electric Peak and Fall Colors

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On a cool Yellowstone morning, there was some mist rising off of Swan Lake as the early morning sun lit up Electric Peak and the fall colors in the vegetation.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 114, 1/30 s, f/20 (for dof), iso 400, tripod

1 Like

Hey Mark! I really enjoyed this one! My one thought with it was to cool it slightly to create a bit more separation on the colors. I also cooled the foreground just a touch with a linear gradient and pulled the highlights down a few points.

Really great scene! I’m always envious of those of you fortunate enough to live out west!

2 Likes

Hey Mark, I agree with @David_Wallace . There is a warm color cast in the image and cooling it down helps remove that cast. Also, when David cooled down the photo, I noticed that there was fog! Before I couldn’t see it as the fog blended in. Super cool image and I like the balance.

The foreground is super sharp. The side lighting brings out the clarity in those fg grasses. My first impression was to emphasize that fog more by cropping the bottom but that would make the grass appear chopped off and one of my favorite things about this image is how there is a dark ending to the grass before we get to the frame, that separation. Can’t comment on the cooler WB suggestion without seeing it first.

I dig this edit. Overall it is a fantastic image, but that subtle white balance shift helps a lot.

Mark,

This is gorgeous! Your capture brings me right there… I can imagine there sitting the (your) porch… or sitting in camp enjoying a cup of coffee, all the time just absorbing the quiet beauty. Just beautiful.

I wouldn’t have thought about and didn’t pick up on it… but I really like David’s WB tweak; just makes this scene and image even more beautiful.

I really enjoy both the fog and the lone tree as they both tie the foreground and background together.

Wow.

Lon