Elepaio

This Elepaio was taken in one of the few remaining rain forests on the Big Island of Hawaii. Photographing birds under the canopy is quite difficult due to lack of lighting, lots of distracting branches, and very active little birds. They don’t stay still for very long. There is a lot of luck involved getting these images. These birds are native to Hawaii and there are only about 10 species remaining that are native. Their habitat is being eliminated at a rapid rate and there are not enough protections on the Big Island to help them out.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any problems with the exposure and/or saturation. I think the color of the bird is pretty accurate. It found the one spot of sunlight in this location.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 6400, 400 mm +1.4 X, F8, 1250th, Sony A7r4, around 75% of full frame. Newly processed.

3 Likes

A sad commentary, but a nice look at the bird. I wonder about a tight crop to eliminate the bright areas in the background.

Very cute little bird. Sad they are dwindling. I really like the mossy frame and the background bokeh.

Really nice portrait of this little bird David. Well lit with nice detail in the feathers. The BG does draw my eye so anything to minimize that would improve.

The sad story aside, what a great bird and lovely shot! I like the overall setting, and especially the bokeh. Very appealing image, David. Cheers, Hans