Elephant funeral

What technical feedback would you like if any? any and all. light was harsh, suggesting for toning it down.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? does the story come thru? i’ve been to africa 6 times and never seen anything like it. one elephant died and the rest of the group wouldn’t leave it for hours. it was like they are conducting a funeral service/wake.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 2000; 400 mm; f14; 1/800 sec

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A very sad gathering here, Frank. I’m sure partly the angle of view, but looking at their eyes gives a bit of insight & the reason for the very somber congregation…:pray:

A sad scene indeed, Frank. They really do have feelings. I like that you made this into a pano, drawing attention only to the elephants and their reason for gathering.

Very sad scene indeed and I like your choice of framing, also the arrangements within the frame. IMHO it may benefit from overall darkening.

1 Like

I have seen videos of elephants mourning the death of one of their family members. They indeed do mourn the death of a member and each pays its respects to the deceased. Your image conveys this very well. I, too, like the pano. Perhaps crop the top and darken it a little to further convey the somberness of the occasion. Thanks you posting this.

Frank, I think the perspective is perfect for telling the story. My only suggestion would be to crop out the horizon and sky, since it doesn’t add anything important and the light band across the top only pulls the eye away from the important stuff.

Max

Love all the eye contact and the pano presentation. Agree that the sky adds nothing to the composition and could be cropped.

Indeed the light is a bit harsh but you can’t do anything about that. It’s so special to see this. It is well documented that elephants do this but to witness it, is such a privilege. Beautiful and a little bit sad. Grtz, Ingrid.