En Garde!

This blossom was put out after the afternoon rains began and the light was none too good, but some of the interaction between the hummingbirds was too good to pass up.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. I know there’s a bit of noise in the background, but it didn’t seem too bad, so I left it alone after one round of noise reduction.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 507 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/640, iso 8000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4999 x 3552 pixels. Taken at 2:30 PM at the Bosque de Paz Lodge in Costa Rica.

8 Likes

WOW! What amazing poses! And on a gorgeous flower with wonderful lighting! Excellent processing with the low light situation. The remaining noise doesn’t bother me. The rain adds a nice touch of authenticity.

The rain knocks me out, but the fact that they’re both in the plane of focus is a gift from the universe. Baited with sugar water or not, you made the most of your gear and processing knowledge to make this a standout image. It makes me want to never try to shoot hummies again. But of course I will. Bravo!

Stunning and playful. Love the colours.

Wow, Dennis, this is really a fine image of these little guys. I love their poses! The raindrops is just icing on the cake. This belongs on a wall. :+1: :+1:

Hi Dennis! beautiful shot! Excellent pose with good detail and light. The colorful flower bud really adds to the effect, as does the rain. Well done!

Wonderful, Dennis! Who won the Battle of the Bananas?

Hi Dennis,

I like this one as presented. The BG texture is subtle enough where it will not be very apparent after printing. Poses and interaction of the hummers provides a nice story to tell. Awesome…Jim

Fantastic shot. Noise? What Noise?

Great interaction shot with fine detail in both hummers.

Over the top image. Lots of color, detail, and behavior. Good job for iso-8000. The rain is a nice touch.

HI Dennis
I have never seen Hummingbirds interact with way, you have a great monument here.
Peter
Ps
Have you every tried DXO Photo Lab pure raw 2 on noise? It is a stand-alone or plug-in to Light room.