End of the Day

After a day of hiking in Chamonix the fading light drew my attention to Mount Blanc. I tried to focus on smaller scenes rather than the whole landscape from below. My first time in the Alps and was mesmerized by the mountain peaks.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feed back is appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5 EF 70-300mm, ISO 500 f/16 1/125sec 170mm

Great scene with wonderful light and atmosphere, but the framing feels slightly awkward with the mountain (subject) so far to the left side and not feeling like it’s warranted. I am not sure what was to the left of the mountain, but I would have given it more space by that edge. This framing also makes the sky feel heavier since it takes up more space on the right side. If you don’t have other exposures with more space on the left, then I would crop off some of the right side to bring the peak closer to the center and offset what I mentioned above. It wouldn’t fix it but I do think it could improve it.

Eric, thanks for your time to share your thoughts. I did crop the image on the left to not show a bush that was in deep shadow in the lower corner. While being taken in by the light on the mountain I didn’t pay attention to the lower edges on the shot. I’ll check it again and maybe the bush distraction is less of an issue than the mountain being set to far left.

I quite like this Steve. I like how the frame is divided diagonally and I can “feel” the warmth of the sun. It’s an impressive peak, that’s for sure!

Thank you Tom, it felt like a special moment with the light, clouds and the strong mountain subject.

We visited Chamonix in 1999. A very special place and memory. I like he overall scene here, but agree that it could use a tad more room on the left and a bit on the top. Minor issues though. Love the light on this.

Oh, and welcome to NPN.

Cheers,
David

Thanks David. We enjoyed Chamonix very much and will return again some day. Mountains are like magnet on me. I am looking forward to 2023 on NPN!

Welcome to NPN Steve! Great to have you here.

An excellent first landscape post. I especially like the light and glow of the fog at the base of the mountain. The fog blowing off the peak also adds to the dynamic nature of this - which I think is an asset given the static nature of a mountain peak.

I would agree with space up top - that is the first thing that caught my attention that the peak is so tight to the edge. A fairly easy fix adding blue-sky canvas up top. I’m less bothered by the room on the left simply because that glowing fog helps balance things out on the right.

The only other small nitpick would be to clone out the tree tops in the LLC(lower left corner) Very minor though.

Thanks for sharing and we look forward to your images and participation!

Lon

Thank you Lon for your critique. I look forward to being part of NPN