Just between night and day

At about 9 AM the sun climbed the top of the mountain and its first ray broke the night running towards the vally still asleep.
Also this image was taken in September while on vacation in the Val Aurina near the Austria border.

Specific Feedback Requested

Too much black?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

D 850, Nikkor 24-70mm at 52mm - 1/750, f/11, ISO 125, EV -1,0

2 Likes

Intriguing. I am particularly drawn to how the colors are almost gone towards the top. I am not sure if I would enhance the color there or leave it as is. Of course, another alternative is to switch to B&W completely. I was going to suggest cropping out the ridgeline at the bottom but when I tried it out, the image needed that as a base.

Beautiful work. I actually like those building peering out of the darkness. It’s really a marvelous image. I like it both with the bottom ridge illuminated and without it but I prefer without it. It would be a purer study of black. It’s an elegant work.

This is wonderful! Not too much black. I don’t think you need that bottom line of light. It strikes a discordant note, IMO, detracting from the sinuous line of the main hill.

Well done! This is a very cool concept and very well executed.

Thanks for the good advise of cutting the edge at the base. Now the image is improved only choosing the longer rectangle.

Here is the improved image.

2 Likes

Giuseppe, this is a very powerful and striking image, beautiful use of light and shadow.

I’m going to go against the grain here, and say that I think the image is stronger with the bottom as originally presented. To me the bright strip of land at the bottom provides a base foundation to the image.

This is very subjective on my part, but if this image were mine I would clone away the houses. In my opinion they are just visible and bright enough to distract from the light near the little lone tree at the top of the ridge. I would want the viewer to be totally focused on the top of that ridge.

Ed, I like your idea too: more details and a solid base in the bottom and less details in the high for enhancing the central and more important part. Now I don’t know which choose!

Here is it.