Enjoying Cannon Beach

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

One of my first Panos using 7 images

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

While on the northern Oregon coast, we stopped at Cannon Beach to view Haystack Rock. There were so many people enjoying an early fall day. I decided to try capturing a panorama without a tripod. This is the result.

Hi Ray :slight_smile:

My initial reaction is “Pleasure”, it’s always nice to see people gathered on the beach enjoying doing their own thing.
It looks like there’s a couple between the trike rider and the small stack on the right taking photos toward you, it’s kind of hard to be sure but that’s what it looks like. :slight_smile:

IMHO, the scene is strong even if it didn’t have the stacks in the BG but the stacks are an added bonus in my view.

I do see some hard edges in the sky on both sides of the large stack where the stitching didn’t go well. It appears there was some significant cloud movement between shots.
I also see some slight ghosting of a couple of people on the beach, also from the stitching process where the people had moved between shots.
The line at the horizon was a little wavy, rotating the image would have helped a little but the waviness was the biggest visual distraction, this was probably from the stitching process as well.
But, I think you did really well at capturing the images without a tripod! Nicely done!

It’s almost inevitable that some amount of manual cloning needs to be done since the software has a hard time getting everything to match when something in the scene has moved.

I took a crack at it to see what I could do and it turned out OK I think.
BTW, the edits were all done in Photoshop (Ps).

I used the clone tool with the opacity set at about 30% and the hardness at 0%.
Sky cloning requires resetting the origin many times and often, and using short strokes.
I also ran it through Topaz Denoise at the lowest strength in the standard mode just to make the sky appear a little cleaner, it wasn’t bad, so, noise removal was really just a fine tuning thing.
I also used the rectangular marquee selection tool to provide a level line at the horizon so I could clone it in a straight line.

Cleaning up around areas where there are hard lines isn’t really subjective, in my opinion it’s a must if those can be easily seen.

Very nice image, this shows people having fun and that’s a powerful message IMHO.

Anyway, I hope this helps and please feel free to ask for more details on how the edits were done. You didn’t mention what processing software you use so I didn’t go into very much detail.

Finally, I noticed that this is the first image you’ve posted in a long while, I hope you’ll share your work with us more often!
I know I’d like to see more of your work so don’t be shy :slight_smile:
Post whatever you feel comfortable sharing. :slight_smile:

Original below:

I also tried cropping more off the bottom so the trike rider was headed straight for the LRC of the frame, the crop was mainly to remove some FG that didn’t seem to add much to the scene (and since there is already lots of sand in the FG).
It also makes it into a longer panoramic image. Just a random thought really.

The crop is just something for you to consider, it does work as you have it, the crop idea is just my own personal opinion which is that it brings the people in closer for a more intimate interaction.

2 Likes

Wow, Merve, what an incredibly insightful critique. Thank you for taking so much time to review and make suggested enhancements. I must say, your eyes are better trained than mine. Now that I look at your refinements, I don’t know how I missed such obvious issues. I will go back and work on my image using your changes as a guide. This will help me develop the techniques you suggested. I was out of touch due to health issues, but now I am excited to get back to my photography which has seriously lapsed for several years. I have always loved the community here at NPN and am excited to get active again. Thanks so much for your help. Ray

Here is a repost of the image incorporating Merv’s suggestions.

Hi Ray,

Wow, this looks much, much better! I do believe you’re getting the hang of it! :slight_smile:

There is still those two areas in the sky with hard lines but wow, what you’ve done to the water, the sky above the water on the right and other areas looks great! :slight_smile:
Crop looks great too!

Another technique for the sky is using the "Lasso Selection Tool, select a small area of the hard line with the lasso tool, then go to Edit>Fill, then when the window pops up, select “Content Aware” in the drop down menu, leave mode at Normal, Opacity at 100% and click OK, that selected area will fill in using the surrounding sky content.
Repeat that process until all the lines are gone, then use the clone tool at 30% opacity and 0% hardness to clean up any areas you feel need it.
Sometimes you can get by with selecting the entire line but usually selecting small areas with the selection at about the size of the small stack on the right is more effective.

And to be honest, I regularly miss details that need attention on my own images, I need to develop a better awareness of that. So, don’t feel bad about not noticing things on your own images, you’re not alone!

It takes practice and patience, and that’s not easy after such a long period away from it.
I know how that is, I just started back about five months ago after a few years away and it felt foreign to me with all the new tools and technology.
I was still shooting on a regular basis so all I did was add an ever growing list of images to process. :frowning:

Well done, Ray!! :slight_smile:

BTW, I hope you’re feeling much better nowadays! :slight_smile:

Hi Merv, thanks for the second follow-up . I am amazed that you were able to see the stitching error in the sky. I took me quite some time to find the two instances. Now I know what to look for thanks to your detailed critiques, for which I am grateful.

Thanks for your concern for my health. Unfortunately, I received substantial damage to my lower back and neck from an accident when I was 28 years old (now 72). I started to experience debilitating pain to the point that I was unable to do even menial tasks. After four surgeries and two spinal stimulator implants, I am finally getting back to near normal. While I still have days when I am not able to get around, thankfully they are to a point that my quality of life has returned to a level where I can get back into photography and careful gardening. So, I am excited to get back to doing the things that I enjoy. Best wishes, Ray

1 Like

Nice work, Ray! :slight_smile:

It appears that you have a good understanding of the cloning tool in Ps.
This looks really good, sky repairs aren’t easy.

I completely understand the whole back surgery thing. I’ve had two major surgeries and one minor surgery myself, the last was a titanium rod and ball joint on the lumbar section.
Mine is from degenerative disc disease, no accidents or injuries.
I have my limits for sure but it’s far better than living in a wheelchair :smiley:

Photography is definitely my main source of enjoyment these days.
I still make my way around my machine shop once in a while though, I also still enjoy working with my hands. :slight_smile:

Again, nice work! :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all your help.:grinning: