Entering Valley Of The Gods

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does your eye and mind traverse the scene?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I hope you forgive me for re-posting this to NPN from a long time ago. It was my first submission, and the terrifically competent and heartfelt responses really hooked me into NPN.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

The interplay between the rugged rock formations and the delicate clusters of flowers draws me in. The way these elements contrast yet coexist in the frame is captivating.

Dick, your image succeeds in storytelling through its thoughtful composition. The foreground’s sharp focus on the flowers leads the eye towards the imposing rock formations in the background, creating a sense of journey through the scene. This natural progression offers a layered narrative, enhancing the image’s depth.

The balanced perspective and strategic use of negative space ensure that each element, from the clouds to the flowers, contributes to the overall harmony. The monochrome treatment accentuates textures and shadows, enriching the visual appeal without distractions. Nice work Dick!

Very much enjoy this image, Dick. Nice balance of textures, shapes and lines.; it does keep my eye wandering through the frame. Beautifully seen and photographed, and perfect as a BW. Nice work!

I have no feedback to offer other than to say that this is a stunningly beautiful capture. Can’t think of anything I would change. In color, I might suggest that the highlights in the clouds have just a bit more detail, but in B&W I think it works as-is.

Thank you for (re-) sharing it!

Beautiful image, Dick. I would echo the positive comments made by others above. This is a great black and white image with a really nice range of tones. I think the square crop was also a great choice and works very well for the scene. I can’t say I have any suggestions to offer–the image is excellent as is!