Ephemera #5

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The bamboo and text were shot at the temple in Narita, Japan, in 2004. Shortly after returning I did the composite. The leaves were discovered at home while I was working on it and cried out to be included. I tried to find what the text said and was told it was very old and difficult to interpret but was something about music and the Sun God. I found it beautiful but wanted to make sure it wasn’t something like the restrooms are in the back. This is part of a series I did over a couple of years.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Film captures, with the originals and scans lost in a California wildfire. Only the layered PS image survives. It is quite complex – I went through it and to my surprise only did a few minor tweaks. The most obvious was to make the frame smaller and tint it from the original white.

2 Likes

This is a wonderful artistic image Diane. I love the warm colors and tones especially in the bamboo and the bright writing, set off against the dark BG. The leaves add a really nice natural touch. The torn paper look to the edging puts a nice finishing touch on it all.

What a beautiful and artistic creation. You’ve done a lovely job of composing the image. I like how the writing seems to be carved into the bamboo and the leaves balance the composition nicely. such a warm feeling image.

Thanks, @Ed_Williams and @Chris_Baird! I’ve been swamped and am late seeing your comments – much appreciated. I was very pleased to be able to come up with this idea and pull it off!