Ephemera #2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from a period I was going through in 2004. Film scans. The BG is a piece of handmade paper. Not by me. I’m not that nuts.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

No specs here. Scanned film – I don’t even know if it was 35mm or 6x7. Layers and masks in PS.

3 Likes

Diane, this is a fascinating combination. The curved lines drew me in and upon further study I start to think about land and sea, now and then. I like the framing too.

This is so artistic. The sweeping lines and overall balance are so perfect. And done with film - very impressive!

I’ve always thought it would be fun to make paper, but I’ve never tried. Handmade papers are so beautiful!

This is lovely, Diane! It looks like an image that would be in one of the Botanical Art Books. I also went through a phase of scanning anything that would hold still long enough, back in the early 2000. You’ve inspired me to revisit them and see if any are worth resurrecting. Also did make hand made paper about the same time. I learned three things: it is quite time consuming, harder than it looks and messy! And I have a great respect for the hand made papers I now buy.
Love the colors and how you have blended the compositions.

Wow, I just am really drawn to the curves of the shell and the curve of the grape vine. I think the placement of the leaves where they are helps enhance the shape and flow of the shell. And how the vine on the LR breaks the line of the shell, but doesn’t break the flow of the image. Just lovely, and like @linda_mellor said, seems like it belongs in a book. So, is this three images (paper, shell and leaves)?

1 Like

Thanks, @annlouiselyman, @Bonnie_Lampley, @linda_mellor and @patrick6!

The scan of the grape leaves was with the paper placed over them, and the nautilus shell was a separate layer, as was the frame. And now that I think of it, the nautilus may have been a scan as well. The source files have been lost to history, along with the shell, the grape vine, the scanner and a lot more.

I’m messing with a B/W version but it needs some tweaking.

1 Like

I love everything about this from the paper, the lines of the shell and the grape vine. I have a lot of scanned flowers. I think I will see what is worth posting. Thanks for the inspiration.

This is really nice Diane. The images just match each other so well. And that curve is just so pleasing to the eye.

Diane, this is a terrific “still life” with a fine mix of colors, shapes and textures.

Ditto everything said above Diane. This is a nice piece of art for a small wall hanging. It made me think of my mother who used to collect seashells for years. She had a huge collection worthy of a museum. When she died twenty some years ago she passed her collection on to my sister who donated most of them to West Texas A&M University in Canyon, TX. It was a nice legacy.

Thanks, @Barbara_Djordjevic, @Cameron_Wilcox, @Mark_Seaver and @Ed_Williams! This one was fun o do – just one of those nutty ideas that worked.

Wonderful story about the shells – they are so fascinating! It’s wonderful to have them go to a museum! Isn’t Canyon where that horrible fire was? I hope the school and town survived. Sounds like it was devastation for a lot of the ranches.

@Diane_Miller, yes, there was a huge fire in the North Texas panhandle in February and early March. Canyon itself wasn’t impacted other than sending all of their fire personnel to help. It was pretty devastating to a lot of the small communities just North of them. My sister still lives there.

I just love everything about this. Marvelous work