For David Bostock

The editor’s pick is for the image below:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

@David_Bostock mentioned the shipyard / boneyard at Charleston, OR and that reminded me of one of my favorite images, that I apparently never posted here. Two versions – I have never been able to decide which I like best.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome! Which one should be my favorite?

Technical Details

Both from a trip up the coast in 2011. The rust:
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 4.21.50 PM

The eucalyptus are along the edge of Arcata Bay.
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 4.23.16 PM

4 Likes

Oooh, I love the wider version. Just because there’s more to love. :wink: A really nice combination!

Diane, these are awesome! Both are fantastic, but the first one is stellar and a classic composition. Please tell us the stories behind them. I can’t imagine them from Charleston. These are so original and intriguing.

Wow. Just, wow.

These are just awesome, Diane. What a great combination of elements! I’d go with the wider but the narrower is great as well. I can certainly see why these are your favorites.

Fantastic images. On opening the “New” category, it really stood out, and I opened it first. I prefer the wider version. It fills the frame better, especially along the bottom and on the left side.

Wow! Amazing! I particularly like the abstract colored background with its lovely warm oranges and yellows streaked atop cool blue. I don’t even want to know what it actually is. It feels like a microscope slide of neurons projected behind trees that then can also become neurons. I slightly prefer the larger one, but only slightly.

Thanks, @Bonnie_Lampley, @David_Bostock, @Dennis_Plank, @Jim_Gavin and @Cathy_Proenza!

David, I had seen this row of trees on some earlier trip and failed to shoot them, and don’t even remember why – it may have been a motorcycle trip, which isn’t exactly conducive to carrying a camera. So on the way north for an exploration of the Oregon coast they were on my list, and I was able to find a pullover and walked along the row getting a lot of shots. (It was a long row – maybe 1/8 of a mile or more.) But most places had tree overlaps I didn’t care for, so I couldn’t cleanly frame a group. The view is looking across Highway 101 out over the bay, so the BG was clean on a gray cloudy/foggy day. I had no idea what I would do with the trees but two days later I stopped in the boatyard boneyard, with its wonderful collection of derelict “junque.” I had already worn myself out when I saw this rust pattern (flipped upside down here), on the underside of a hull that wasn’t very high. I struggled to get a clean shot that had it mostly in the plane of focus, straining my neck to human limits before the days of articulating back screens. It was at that instant that I knew what I would do with the trees.

I’ve had similar experiences with a boat in the boneyard in Crescent City (on this same trip!), a polar bear at the San Francisco zoo, and an aspen near the Grand Canyon, among others. Just a subsequent, different image giving instant visualization what I would do with a previous and otherwise mundane shot.

In looking back at the “filmstrips” in LR, I see I have several slightly different versions of the image, filed in both days. The differences are in the amount of dark detail at the bottom and the amount of canvas at the top. I’ll have to get them in one place and may post another version.

That makes me think I should do a better job or organizing favorites like this, because I discovered it wasn’t even on my web site. So huge thanks for the reminder, on that other post of the old truck detail!!

1 Like

Fantastic, Diane! I simply love it when montages like this work out so well. At first I really liked the impact of the more 4x5 ratio, but on further sitting with them, I prefer the second wider version. But truly, they both work well enough that if a client wanted something a tad more squarish, you’d have that option!

Awesome. Diane, thanks for the info. Yes, Crescent City has a great marina too.

Cheers,
David

I comment on the second image. For me that image shows the apocalypse with the (burned) trees in the FG and the ongoing destruction in the BG.

The shape of the silhouette of the plants against the rusty ship steel plate with all of its colors and patterns just make up a fantastic image. Wow!

Thanks, @brenda_tharp and @Ola_Jovall, and again @David_Bostock! Here is an earlier post with the other composite from that same trip, shot a week later, on the way home, in Crescent City. It was the same story – I liked the boat shot but it needed something – or, better, it was material for something. Then a few hours later I drove by an old building and spotted the texture. Brain cells fired instantly!

2 Likes

You really have a talent for combining these images, Diane. Banshee is just awesome.

A fantastic composite. Two great images, both ready to hang very large on a wall.
I think I prefer the larger, but that almost feels as injustice to the other one.
I keep looking at them.

Banshee is awesome, Diane. Makes me want to duck.

Wow, is this cool. I love everything about both of them and even more, I love your instincts to blend the scenes together to create one otherworldly scene. I really can’t pick a favorite amongst these two as they are both pretty special but if you twisted my arm I’d go for the Larger scene. There is just more to love. :heart:

1 Like

Wow, that one is wild! Thanks for sharing it, @Diane_Miller!

I love the combination you came up with. The two complement (and compliment) each other so well. I prefer the wider image.

Thanks, @Han_Schutten, @David_Haynes and @Igor_Doncov! I love it when ideas like this crawl into my consciousness!

And many thanks, @Dennis_Plank, for the EP – I almost missed seeing it! I’m so grateful that a discussion of a different image triggered the memory of this one, which I had inadvertently dropped off my web site.

OMG, Diane. I love Banshee. Incredible image. Is that just 2 images? It looks like an ocean scene for the water, dramatic clouds for the sky, a tree surrounding the top of the boat, and of course the old building with rusted walls and the boat hull. So, how many images is this? I absolutely love this image. It looks like a watercolor painting. One of, if not my favorite image of yours. :clap: :clap: :clap: