For David Bostock

Thanks, @David_Haynes! It was just 2 shots! I thought the boat was really interesting, but, as usual, I failed to work it enough. And going back to the filmstrip, I see I remembered incorrectly – I had shot the texture first, then the boat an hour later. Here are the raw files. The next time I was in Crescent City I looked for the building but didn’t find it – I think I remembered where it was so pretty sure it had been demolished.

1 Like

And now I have actually looked back at the post any yes, you are right, @David_Haynes – there are the two layers I show above and two others for the ocean and the sky! So much for my memory – and my ability to read!! No tree, though.

1 Like

Both great shots, Diane. They show us how we can look back at our old photos (some maybe from years back) and - if we have something of your creative spirit -combine two or more to make the whole greater than its parts. Doing that on the same day with two shots, well that’s really something! Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks, @Mike_Friel – sometimes it’s good to know all those images taking up hard drive space might contain a hidden gem or two.

Inspired, transcendent, perfect beauty. This takes my breath away. I bow to you… :clap: :clap: :clap:, and thank you for the joy this brings me just now!

Many thanks, Laura!! It was one of those crazy ideas that somehow worked!

Diane, I am obviously very late for the party here but I just stumbled across these now (I’ve been away :smile:). I just have to say how stunning these images are. Though I too prefer the wider version, they are both exceptional. “Awesome” is a word so much overused these days but it applies perfectly to my experience of these images . They demonstrate both original vision and voice. Truly outstanding. I do hope these find their way to be printed either to hang on a wall (hopefully yours) or published as part of a collection. I wonder, have you thought about exploring the essence of your vision here and working towards creating a project? That would be a killer!

That’s OK, @Kerry_Gordon – we party late around here!! I was delighted to have had this crawl into my consciousness, but I’m not sure I could ever come up with anything else that went with it. I have some more of the row of trees, and from Google maps, they seem to still be there without huge changes. It would be interesting to shoot more of them – it looks like the row goes on for almost a mile. But not sure I would get much more material. I probably covered most of the good opportunities on that trip. There is a lot of overlap in the trees so not many groups like this one. And I’ll never find a BG like that again!

But it might not necessarily be about the trees. For example, you posted the image of the abandoned silos by the railway siding recently and to me that image and this one share a common vision . Obviously there is something about the technique that you’ve employed in both but theres more to it, I think, than mere technique. There is also a sense of your relationship to light and luminosity. In any case, for me, those two images definitely go together and are clearly by the same photographer, which demonstrates not only vision but also voice.

1 Like

Thanks again, @Kerry_Gordon! I have three series on my web site, each of which was done in a relatively short time period: Ephemera, Forces at Rest and Lifeforms. The trees could fit in Ephemera. I hadn’t really thought about it as it was done at a different time – but I think it does fit and thanks for the idea – I’ll add it! I should think about continuing that idea/theme – and actually all three of those series. I get pulled (pull myself) in too many directions. The last few days have been utterly consumed trying to get a decent image of the current comet, but I don’t have the best rig or dark enough skies.

I think I’m preaching to the choir. Your series called “orbitals” is absolutely marvellous. I just took a look at the Ephemera grouping - outstanding, not only beautifully conceived but highly original. Again, vision and voice.

Such a fantastic image, Diane!! I love the second one best, as it gives the two subjects a bit of separation, allowing them both to shine. Beautifully visualized and done!!

HI Diane; I just went to your gallery and looked at the Abstractions and fantasy section: You have some really great work there. I should have had it for the Abstracts presentation at our local camera club last night!