Ephemera + Rework

REWORK (darkened/cloned out some bright bits at the top, per Harley’s comment):

ORIGINAL:

A fleeing glimpse of morning mist in a wintertime dark forest.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 105mm, f/11, 1/250s, ISO 1000.

1 Like

Oh, Bonnie! I really like this. The morning light through the mist has perfectly framed the tree trunk and mosses on the branches. Being able to see the smaller trees at the bottom has given the image a wonderful base. So well seen!

Over here, we often see a similar thing, but it’s steam after a storm on a very hot and humid day.

Terrific light Bonnie. I just love atmosphere created by the sunlight hitting the wet tree. Almost looks like Dry ice. The small saplings at the bottom of the frame set the scene really well. I kind of like that pitch fork coming out of the main tree as well. Well seen Bonnie.

Outstanding lighting, Bonnie. Very nicely seen and captured.

Well seen and well shot Bonnie. If I was to give any feedback, I’d share my initial reaction when first viewing the shot that it took me a second to figure out what I was looking at, which left the impression that this might be a quasi-abstract. If you wanted the viewer to lock in more quickly, perhaps lightening the two most prominent trees in the shot so that upon initial view, it’s more easily recognizable. Maybe I just haven’t had enough coffee this morning yet. :slight_smile: Well done!

This is quite haunting and I like it a lot. I find the tree tops tend to pull me out from the misty area, so I did a little crop along these lines. Very good image.

Thank you, @glennie, @David_Haynes, @linda_mellor, @John_Pedersen, and @Harley_Goldman for your thoughts and appreciation.

In the original, the main trees are a tad brighter, but that left-most one is slightly OOF. So, I darkened them (to +/- silhouettes) so that the OOF area wouldn’t be noticeable. It also made the steam stand out more. I think it’s a good thing if our images need a second look. :slightly_smiling_face:

You know, Harley, I did wonder about those bright bits. I rather like the verticality of this, though, so I didn’t want to crop. I did go back and burn those down/clone them out to lessen their impact. Rework posted. Thanks for the suggestion - it does work better now.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense how you approached it. Agreed a second glance is always a good thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bonnie, what a neat find, with the mist surrounding that main tree. The lighting is outstanding. Like Harley, I was thinking about a modest crop further emphasize the mist, but I think your burning-in does an even better job of adding that emphasis. The rest of the scene works very well with the bright mist.

1 Like