Epiphyllum

Description: Sunbaked and neglected, but it still blooms for me.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: f4 1/5s ISO100 70-200@200mm Tripod.

Being a night bloomer, I was up early to catch the flower before it withered and before the bees found it. The image has been flipped vertical to show the flower upright instead of facing downward. Conversion for Black and White done in PS.
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

A very good image, the flower has many interesting details that you have captured in a good way. The B&W rendering is very well done, and it was a good decision to turn the flower upside down. I also like the darker stem in the background, and that it fades out into OOF.

Lovely, @glennie. Detail in the flower it outstanding. Just curious, what were your settings? Agree with @Ola_Jovall about the black/white conversion. I am also curious about ā€œconversion for band Wā€ means? Iā€™ve not heard of that before. Very nicely done.

Thank you Linda. Techs for this image are f4 1/5s ISO 100 70-200@200mm Tripod.
My bad typing skills has made B&W into something else! It should have been ā€œblack and white conversionā€ (B&W)

1 Like

Glennie, this is so wonderful!! Night-blooming cacti are SO special! I love the sharp details of the bloom, the softer stem and the ghostly, smoky BG!!!

Glennis, this looks very good in itā€™s upright position. The flower stands out very well, as Iā€™m enjoying the sense that thereā€™s a crane in the background holding out the flower.

Glennie, I had no idea this was yours when I picked it to comment on. It just made me pause and catch my breath. Its not surprise to me that such mastery of still life is yours. The compositions and contrasts between crisp clarity and soft background are trademark. The background is particularly good, Iā€™m guessing this was no accident, probably a clever use of near by materials to deliver just what you wanted rather than done in processing? If I had to find a nit, Iā€™d have to look pretty hard, maybe soften the contrasting light and dark and the lower lower right? I had to really look for something to find a little nit though, the photo is, as usual brilliant.

The details are just beautiful, Glenys! I love the clarity in the innermost spines. Great job!