Echinopsis

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This was taken two summers ago, found growing along a sidewalk in a suburban neighborhood. It blooms in late evening and shortly after sunrise the flowers are swarming with bees and then quickly wilt and fold up. The best light is after sunset or before sunrise, but there is almost always a breeze in the evening so before sunrise is the best option, and the only one to allow a focus stack. I managed to catch several bloom cycles and you’ll see more of it. I hope I’ll manage to get it again next summer.

Canon 1DX2, 100-400 II at 188mm, ISO 100, f/5, 1/200 sec, sturdy tripod, focus stack processed with Zerene Stacker. The BG is a tree across the street. Minimal processing, some partial opacity cloning on the BG.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Diane: This is just a superbly crafted image. The flower itself is impressive and unique. Over the years there have been very few images of this night blooming flower posted and by my recollection this is far and away the best. The stack looks really good and its impact on the BG is wonderful. I like how you handled the whites, the center details and the stem spines. Looks like the bud is close to opening too so I hope you get a shot with both flowers open and in good condition. And then on top of that your frame looks terrific as well. Most excellent!!! :+1: :+1:>=))>

Diane, I like this very much. It’s beautifully composed with nice soft light and a wonderful complementary background.

Thanks @Bill_Fach and @Sharron_Sims ! I made at least a dozen pre-sunrise runs to this cactus – you’ll see a few more. And looking at this one more closely, there are some soft shadows which means it was one of the days where there was some early clearing fog – my favorite light.

Just beautiful, Diane. I love everything about this. Not familiar with the cactus bloom, but you did a super good job capturing it.

Excellent take on this night blooming cactus. Very pleasing to view.

Thanks everyone! I just found another angle on this same bloom – I’ll post it.

Beautiful image! stacking done very well. I can’t think of anything else that could improve it.

Well done from a compositional and tech aspect.