Evening Along the River Trail

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Nothing in particular, but comments welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The colors in this are interpretive. The sky was bluer and things generally were washed out in the original. I don’t want it to look phony or grossly unrealistic, however. Successful?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a7, 25-105mm @ 46mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 200; single frame.

Original:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Edited (added canvas):

Very nice. It looks real and holds the attention, bonus points for unusualness. The surprise are the birds, I think they’re birds.
TY for post

Those clouds are really lovely, Bonnie. The color shift looks fairly realistic; it is at least very pleasing. It creates a positive emotional response for me. I like how the clouds are somewhat pointing towards the lone tree. It is a very good subject. I do wish for a little more at the bottom.

Bonnie I really do like the choices you made to edit this as presented. The tree and clouds are very complementary. I agree with @Adhika_Lie and would like a little more room on the bottom. This image has a sense of foreboding to me, I think it’s the darkening clouds entering the scene and the lone tree. Nicely done!

I like the muted color and silhouetted foreground Bonnie. I think too that a little more room on the bottom would be ideal.

Bonnie,

I think the colors and processing are fantastic! Certainly looks realistic to me, but also makes me pause and think if I’ve ever witnessed this color combo. that’s not to say that this doesn’t work, it absolutely does and I love it! The curved shape and details of the silhouette really anchor the scene.

Count me in with more room at the bottom. It’s really just the dip on the right that nearly merges with the edge. Not a huge deal and I’m sure picked up mostly because we’re fellow picky photographers… :roll_eyes:

Lon

Thank you for the comments @stevenm, @Adhika_Lie, @Alan_Kreyger, @Eva_McDermott, and @Lon_Overacker. Seems unanimous that more on the bottom would be better, so I added canvas and filled it, as I don’t have a version that I like in which I framed up more hills. I agree that it is an improvement. Lon is right, that the dip was too close to the bottom, and that made it feel as if the frame should end there.

@stevenm, the things in the main tree aren’t birds, they’re burnt pine needles. They do look rather like birds, though, now that you mention it.

1 Like

Bonnie,

Often times such small and subtle changes can make a significant impact. thanks for taking the time.