Evening Dance

In December of 2018, my daughter and I hiked Amanda’s Trail on Cape Perpetua. We parked along Yachats Ocean Road, and I thought it would be worth returning to try and photograph the rocky shore. I returned the next month, and took this image of sunlight playing in a wave.

I don’t have any specific questions, but would love any thoughts and suggestions that may come to mind.

Nikon D7100
Nikon 12.0-24.0 mm f/4.0 at 12 mm (18mm equiv.)
Blend of 1/60 and 1/125 at f/22 and ISO 100
I cloned out a small contrail.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This is really nice, John.
Technically superb as always.
Controlling that light is pretty amazing.
My only critique to a great scene is a bit too warm… my preference would be to cool it off a tad.

Nice shot, John. Good timing to catch the sunstar and the crashing wave at same time. I also think it’s a tad too warm and might be tempted to clone out the reflected wave amongst the rocks just below the horizon on the left side. It draws my eye over there.

A great image John, the exposure/contrast looks very realistic. And you did a great job timing that wave, that’s about as good as you could have hoped for. The backlit spray is wonderful, great job. I agree with the others about the image being too warm overall. I think the warmth looks good in the brighter highlights, but I would recommend cooling down the shadow areas.

Excellent, John. Beautiful composed and well balanced and the processing looks spot on to me. No suggestions here.

Some day I hope to make such an image,John. As I reed the comments, I can only learn from them. In the hope that I can give the good comments on these wonderful images on NPN. With the others I find it also a bit to warm, but in my opinion that is often a matter of tast.

John,

Amazing Sunstar, injecting life and brilliance into the scene. To reduce overall warmth would be a shame unless this could somehow further enhance the beautiful golden tones of this image?

For me, the crashing wave is the hero. It would be awesome to see its textures revealed more sharply in such incredible light.

Great capture John,

Spot on timing and I fu s your composition balanced and you handled the dynamic range well.

I agree with Ed in that some blue in the shadows could enhance the image even further.

I really love the overall lighting. Super sky. Must be close to Thor’s well? My only nit picking suggestion would be to lighten up the contrast in the rocks - if possible. I personally would have liked to have that major splash at a higher shutter speed to freeze it a bit more. A stellar shot.

Beautiful image John! Great combo of beauty, drama and timing. The sun start is especially wonderful and I really like how the darker clouds up top provide a natural vignette and framing of this seascape.

Can’t disagree with the others about the warmth. For me though the overall scene isn’t too warm, but it’s the yellow that is pretty strong in the splashing wave. In fact, the yellow saturation seems higher in the splash than the sun star and rays. So there’s a slight imbalance of yellow color between the sun and the wave. At least for me.

Lon

Thanks all! I’ll play with the suggestions.