Evening Grosbeak

Taken a couple years ago. The perch wasn’t that good so I turned this into a portrait. I’ve decided to start posting some head shots every Friday. So here’s the second one. In the 20 or more years I’ve lived in this home, this is the only time I’ve seen an Evening Grosbeak. We have visiting Black Headed Grosbeak’s every year for short periods of time but no other species except for this one.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

ISO 1250, 500 mm, F7 .1,1000th, D500

1 Like

Beautiful portrait. Detail is excellent and looks great against the background. These are rare visitors to our yard. I used to stop leaving the suet out in the summer because it attracted starlings, but this year I’ve had suet hanging consistently and it attracts, on a daily basis, the black-headed grosbeaks and western tanagers.

Outstanding detail and a nice background. Well done.

These seem to be elusive for everyone. I have only ever seen them once, in the 1980s in New Hampshire. Since then - zip. I have some shots of them on film, but not sure how good they actually are. I’d love to have been able to get an image like this though. Terrific detail and woah- that beak, is it me or is it green? Excellent that we can see the brown iris color as well.

Evening grosbeak populations have been decreasing and are becoming more rare across their range. A lovely portrait that might be useful in publications about evening grosbeaks. Color, detail, and BG work well for this comp…Jim