Extremely hot, calm, summer day at Lake Maumelle (first post for critique)

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The day (August 19th) was extremely hot, calm (almost no wind) and the light was harsh. I like the composition, I don’t mind that it breaks some of the rules. I’m not sure if the lighting/colors are optimal. Especially on the left, where the trees were in shadow. I tried to lighten them to see how it looked and didn’t like the un-natural effect. Also, in retrospect I see the brown leaves on the left. I didn’t notice them at the time I took the photo.

Creative direction

I hike here all the time and have done so for over 23 years. I’m drawn to these “lakescapes” in all seasons. I found this view on this particular day to be drawing me in and I wanted to communicate some of that feeling. Extreme heat (near 100°F), calm, baking sun, mirror-like lake surface. etc… created a feeling of calmness and serenity. Nature that you don’t get to see without being here, under these conditions. When I hike here under these conditions, I almost never see another person and I feel privileged to be here and to experience this beauty. I’m trying to communicate something of that feeling.

Specific Feedback

I’m interested in all feedback, I guess including composition, even though I didn’t follow the ‘rules’.

Technical Details

metadata 001

Description

See above.

Hi John,
I have to say that you made the most out of some harsh and less than optimal lighting conditions. I like your vantage point as it gives you a great look at the pond and those clouds were certainly an added bonus. You did a nice job on the trees on the left. I think if you went any lighter it would look unnatural as they are in shade. It looks like a great place to sit and enjoy the view for a bit, even though you mentioned it was 100. It is good that you noticed the brown leaves on the left side.

I have a couple of suggestions for you. The first is to clone out the brown leaves on the left along with some OOF leaves in the FG of the LRC. There is one jet contrail along the middle of the top edge that I would also get rid of. I hope you do not mind, but I did a quick rework showing what I mean. I also did a little crop from the right to get rid of that on taller tree along the edge. These are just suggestions of course.

I look forward to your participation and more images from this area since it sounds like it is close to home. It would be interesting to see this in the different seasons.

Hi Ed,
Your version, with the tall trees on the right cropped out and distracting leaves gone from the left creates a different initial reaction that I prefer. I pretty much agree that all of your suggestions are an improvement, except I kind of liked the green leaves in the foreground. Perhaps if I had paid more attention to aperture and DOF, I could have had those foreground elements in better focus.

I very much appreciate your suggestions and thanks for taking the time to rework it, that’s why I’m here! :wink: The lake in the photo is 10 minutes from my home and the Ouachita National Recreation Trail runs along the northern edge, so there’s no shortage of “lakescapes”. Thanks again!

John,

First of all, welcome to NPN! I need to go check out your Intro post.

Lovely first post here. I do get a sense of calm from this image - although from your description of the heat… and location I can’t help but think mosquitos! But maybe too late in the season for the little pests?

I pretty much agree with Ed’s comments. Great sky and clouds and I appreciate that the horizon line isn’t right across the middle! I first noticed the main contrail, but also I was drawn to the darkness of the foreground vegetation. I’m guessing much of the foreground was in shade, which I guess then is expected.

Other than those intruding leaves, this is quite lovely. The colors are spot on and gives me the impression this is exactly how it would look if I were standing there.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more. Welcome!

Lon

Thanks for the welcome and comments on this image. Amazingly, mosquitos weren’t much of an issue. Perhaps they don’t like the heat either. I think you’re right about the foreground. Thanks again!