Eye of the Storm

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While hiking recently, I spied an interesting ice formation in a stream that looked like it had possibilities.

Specific Feedback

What is your initial reaction? How does it make you feel? I’m a bit worried about the brightness in the lower corners.

Technical Details

Canon R50, ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/100s HH, RF-S 18-45mm @ 34mm. Wasn’t able to get physically closer, so this is about a 50% crop of the original scene. Thought it would work well as a B&W, but then experimented with WB adjustments, bringing the Kelvin down quite a bit to achieve the blue cast, which I thought had more impact. Tried to reduce the effect of the whiter ice a bit too.

Very cool, Jim. It’s unusual to see such curvy lines in ice. Looks like a couple of alien brains kissing.

Jim, I’m digging the cool tones and those ice patterns are excellent! I see a lion’s head and mane on the left. It could also be a dragon head. Great job!

I see what you mean about the bright corners. First, I would recommend cropping in to crop out those rectangular ice blocks on the lower right corner. You could then burn down the bright spots in the ice. You could also try a color adjustment layer, sample the dark blue color, and paint over the lighter blue ice.

Love the deep blues & purples. It’s like frozen anemones. I like the dark corners at the top, but I agree that the white in the LRC is a bit distracting. But really compelling image!

@Alfredo_Mora , thanks for you positive feedback and good ideas, I will try them.

1 Like

@Cathy_Proenza , thanks so much for your kind words. I like that comparison!

1 Like