Fall Migration

D500 600mm f4 (1/1250 sec at f6.3, ISO 1400) Matrix metering, tripod, 25% of the image was cropped from top and left, rubber stamp tool to remove orphaned wing tip on rh side, levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, shadows & highlights, brightness & contrast. Something different to look at. Light was OK, but it fairly early with the sun rising so I wish that I could have used a lower ISO. I took this photo right across the road from where I live. Lots of migrants wrere passing over including a flock of 150 sandhills that were about 3/4’s of a mile out…Jim

Nice shot. Seems you nailed it with the SS. Hope you don’t mind. I took the liberty of re-working the image. I think it’s much stronger without the OOF birds.

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

I don’t mind your edits, in fact it looks quite good. One thing about the OOF birds is that family groups stick together in flocks and it shows this phenomena. The juvie is the lowest bird in the forground and the parents fly wing and break the turbulence for the youngster. Thank you for your input…Jim

Hi Jim
The Sandhill Cranes look vary clean, with good detail and color. I just wish the camera could has the same dynamic range as the eye. This way the Crane would look great and the sky would be blue with white clouds, not a white sheet. I run into this all the time. I like the larger grouping over what looks like three nicely shot Cranes pasted into a white back-ground.
Peter

1 Like

Looks like a nice incoming pose. They are the sound of changing seasons for sure. Both crops are nice although I do prefer the original.

1 Like

Very nice! The three birds all look very sharp and detailed and the others behind fit well, for me, to add some context and story. To me they are pleasingly OOF, not distractingly so

1 Like

I’m with those who like the original. Given your title, the more cranes the better the sense one has of migration. The in-focus cranes look great and I like the light on the under-wing and the out-of -focus cranes give the shot some depth and the viewer the sense they are coming at you. Lucky you to witness this from your home.

1 Like

I like this as you first posted it, Jim. It might be nice if that left OOF crane had been just a bit higher to get some separation, but it still works very well. Something about the different trajectories of the foreground and background birds appeals to me.

1 Like