Fall on High Lake

Last week we took our first days away from the homestead since February with a short trip up to Traverse City. The cottage we rented on High Lake was ideal for photography. With this image I love the almost minimal feel of the bright subject set against the off-white/gray sky and water. The reflections of the fall colors were what drew me to the image.

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Photo captured using a Canon EOS R camera on tripod

and EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens: 36mm, ¹⁄₅₀ sec at f/6.3, ISO 200. Processed with LR to bring up highlights and open shadows slightly on the treeline, and a slight crop to center the horizon line - it was close but needed a tweak.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Well, you timed your trip just right, autumn color doesn’t get any more peak than that !!!

I think this is one of those images where a symmetric mirror image reflection works, given how nice the color was and how still the water was. I also like the small ripple lines below the cabin. I think the cabin on the left creates a good spot for the viewers eye to rest. I think your processing of the fall color works well, the colors are vibrant, but not over-saturated.

My only suggestion would be to decrease the luminosity of the sky and water, I would like to see more definition and detail in clouds. I think a bright sky works here, but for my personal taste the sky/water is too bright. If you don’t mind, I did a rework where I used 2 Lightroom Gradient Tools, one for the sky, and another for the water, to reduce the luminosity of these areas. Here it is. I may have gone a bit too far with the sky, but I’d move in this direction.

1 Like

Thanks Ed - I originally played with a darker sky and water and really like that effect. I had switched it back to a little brighter luminosity as it came out of the camera to get more of a minimalistic look. I will probably in the end go your direction because I too generally move that way with clouds. Your edits look great.

I like Ed’s rework with the sky. Originally I thought that contrast in the trees should be reduced but Ed’s solution works well. Actually now that I look at it the darks in those trees still could be raised a bit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions- I went back and played around with the sky and water and came up with the attached for a final image. I do like the darker aspects to balance the colors. Enjoy.