Lake Aleeda Fall 1

I am always most moved by the fall and spring scenes here at our lake. I wait for the atmospheric setting like this many times.

Specific Feedback Requested

I wonder about the horizon placement of the island, if it is too high or not. Also comp and processing.
Added second image with some increase exposure.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

######

1 Like

Hi Mario. What a peaceful scene. The complete reflection of the orange tree on the left 1/3 of the image makes centering the image the right choice for me. If you have another image with more of the reflection and less of the highest tree on the right, it would be another great option for the crop. Awesome image!

This is a beautiful image Mario! I like the contrasting red, orange and green colors. I also like the mood conveyed by the fog and the near perfect reflection.

I do wish for a tad more symmetry in this image with a little more room at the bottom of the frame so as not to cut off the reflections. Of course I do not know if there might have been distracting elements in the foreground that would prohibit such symmetry.

The full size image feels a bit soft, but that may just be due to web sharpening or resizing the image.

This is a very interesting palette of autumn colors here. The reds are really nice, and you even have a few patches of green to play off against the reds. I definitely prefer the lighter version, I think the black point and overall exposure were too dark in the first one, which made the colors a bit muddy. The lighter exposure has more vibrant colors.

In terms of composition, I agree with the comments on centering and symmetry made by @Patricia_Brundage and @Brian_Schrayer. I think with reflections like this you have to decide whether to full embrace symmetry or not. As presented it’s somewhere in between. Something fully not embracing symmetry might look like this. I prefer symmetry myself.

The reflection of the sky in the water is brighter than the sky itself, in real life reflections are always darker. So when we see it in images it can look un-natural. I’d drop the exposure in the reflection of the sky, especially in the right half.

Thank you all for the comments. I agree the symmetry perspective would have been more pleasing. I’ll have another chance this fall!

This is a great shot. Like the rest of the commentators, I love the colors and the reflection on the water. I also like the contrast between the sky and the island with its reflection. For me, though, instead of the literal contrast being between up and down, if there was more image to the left, you might also balance the mood this picture evokes as well.

Man that’s nice, especially the one with the exposure lifted. I agree with the comments above, but IMHO they are tweaks on a wonderful and peaceful image. Well done!