Fall River, late fall

Here’s a view of the Fall River in Rocky Mountain National Park, where I’m not satisfied with the balance. I like the bare aspens and their reflections, the rippled water, and the snowy peaks. I don’t care for the log and the photog’s shadow on the left and have played with crops that make them go away. I’m interested in the thoughts of others about the composition. (Couldn’t keep my shadow out without my wading boots. :grin:)

5D3, 24-105 F4 IS II @ 24 mm, 1/15 s, f/20, iso 200, tripod and polarizer

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautifully made, Mark. Without looking overly spectacular this really shows off a scene that just makes you want to be there. There are so many components that invite you to explore - the fg rocks, the flowing riffles with blue - and then you’re invited to further explore inward to the birches and finally to the white peaks. Good handling of color as well. I didn’t notice the log until you mentioned it. Yes, you could crop off a small slice off the left.

Mark,

I think the balance is pretty good here actually. For me, I think the aspens, and the reflection is the center of interest. If anything, I think a pano crop has possibilities. The mountain line is suited well for a pano crop and for me, the gravel bar has little interest (although does provide balance in your uncropped original.) The gravel bar cropped and you could take or leave the log in the resulting LLC (I’d had to crop any more of the snow capped peaks.

Mark, I like the shot. I think I might look at a crop in from the lower left to remove the log and shadow and some of the lower right rocks. The log and shadow don’t bother me, but the rocks are bright and crispy and distract from the fantastic water.

Mark, the light and color here are very appealing. I’m with Lon, i would crop the sand bar away and go for more of a panoramic type crop, while trying to retain as much of the ripples in the water as possible. This would have been a great place to throw on wading boots and wander out into the center of the stream for a shot.

This is a sweet peaceful river scene. I was going to suggest cloning out the log (cropping the left upsets the balance), then saw Lon’s pano suggestion and gave it a try. I think it works really well. That solves the log and shadow and leaves a serene scene. Lots of options.

Beautiful late fall scene, Mark. I see the strongest elements in the upper half of the image so also agree that a pano crop would work well to tighten up the composition and remove distracting elements.