Fallen at the Edge of a Lake

Description:

Made this while standing in the rain next to a lake in Lassen Park about a year ago. I’d ridden my bike up to the lake, when it started raining. It was a chilly ride back down the hill.

The raindrops on the water made an interesting texture, making the fallen logs look a bit mysterious.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments welcome. As usual, I tried not to overdo the contrast, but maybe it needs a bit more. I’ve gone back and forth.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

a7r3, 24mm, f/8, 1/125s, ISO 800, hand held.

1 Like

Bonnie, I like everything about this except for one thing. It’s quite major and surely few will agree with me! A simpler composition of just the 2 straight trunks without that twisted log would - for me - have turned this into a real winner. You probably could not have even considered lifting and removing this log! But I do wish it could have been done, as everything else sings.

I found this image strangely evocative when I looked at it last night. Imagine my surprise when I was still thinking about it this morning. It may be because my wife and I are in deep preparation mode for our upcoming annual month-long August canoe trip. This image puts me in mind of one of my favourite kind of days: Grey and quiet, the rain starts to come down, but gently. No need to run for cover, I feel I have permission to just sit and do nothing but watch the tiny interference patterns made by the rain drops. The forest is quiet, even the birds and insects seem to be listening. Perfection.
The two crossed logs give the image a sense of repose and I can understand why @Mike_Friel wishes they were undisturbed by the third gnarly log. But for me, the gnarly log adds something, tension perhaps because it is not straight and calm, because it is a “third”, and because it literally breaks the tension between above and below. This is the sort of image that would do very well in a series on, say, meditative moments or something of that sort. But, as I say, as a stand-alone it certainly brings up a longing in me to get back to the water and share in one of those pure numinous moments.

Thanks for your thoughts, Mike. I did make some shots with just the two crossed logs, and that frame was my first choice for this series, actually. Upon going back to these, though, I found the one with the gnarly log more interesting. The two crossed logs alone feel almost harsh to me now - the x they make feels so severe.

Kerry, as usual your description is wonderful. I came to the same conclusion about the gnarly log. And I love your idea of “meditative moments”.

1 Like

I love the “filter effect” of the raindrops on the water!! And the gentle lighter gradient toward the top is the perfect touch.

Almost any accompanying material works for me, and I see @Mike_Friel’s point, but I think the gnarly branch adds a lot as a counterpoint to a moody, peaceful scene of just the two straight logs. The near end of that branch is so interesting. I’m glad you tried it both ways and both images definitely have merits.

1 Like