Fallen Into the Creek

REWORK 1 (increased contrast):

ORIGINAL:

Just out for a hike, these tree reflections revealing the leaves that had fallen into the creek caught my interest. The mix of reflections and submerged things is ever fascinating to me.

Self Critique (click to reveal)

[spoiler]I’m not sure about the balance of this one. That biggest “tree” on the left makes it a bit top heavy, I think. But then I think, no, it’s ok.

Also, that bit of twig poking up through the water surface middle left could be a distraction. I rather like it, but looking for other opinions. [/spoiler]

Technical Details

a7r3, 105mm, f/9, 1/60s, ISO 800, hand held, probably had a CP on.

1 Like

Great image. I like the composition as it is and don’t think the twig detracts. You may want to consider enhancing the contrast between the lighter and darker tones. I think it might add some increased punch and interest, though it is already a fine photo!

Jim Dolan

Thanks for the comment, @jimdolan. Initially, I had tried that and it didn’t appeal to me. Had another look, though, and give it a whirl. The increased contrast does make it more appealing, I think. Thanks for the nudge.

1 Like

This is very imaginative, Bonnie. I really like the feeling of looking at fall through a freshly washed, still wet window. (ok that’s weird, but you get my idea)…I do think that little twig sticking up on the left side could easily be cloned out. I think the comp is balanced with the larger tree on the left balanced against the several smaller ones on the right. Wonderful image.

1 Like

Hi Bonnie,
really love this image.
Very subtle, quiet and creative.

1 Like

Hi Bonnie,

I definitely like the rework with the increased contrast. I really love the high key look here, with the water around the reflections being white, and the textures within them are very interesting as well. This is a very artistic and interpretive scene. I really don’t see anything else I could add to it. Great work!

Your friend,
Eric

Thanks @David_Bostock and @joaoquintela for your thoughts.

Thank you, @Eric_Bennett for your input. And for doing these critiques for NPN! We appreciate it.

1 Like