Fallen

Two trees fallen over a small stream.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

100mm, .5 Sec @ f/5.6, ISO 100

1 Like

Beautiful soft feel to this, David. The detail you’ve gotten in the whites and the darkest darks is outstanding. Just lovely.

David, it’s difficult to tell which are the trees and which is the stream which adds a lot of mystery to the image. I also love the span of tones from dark to light in your image. There is also a really nice diagonal set of lines which add tension to the image and have my eye wander left to right. Well done!

Hi, David. This is really a very fluid image. Besides the beautiful tones in your processing, I find the diagonal lines creating a beautiful loop that keep my eyes going round and round. The lines go from narrow to wide and around back from narrow to wide. Nature is majestic when it creates these beautiful patterns. If you had not said those were trees over a stream, I would be scratching my brain trying to figure out how you got a nice photo of the Saturn rings. Nicely done!

David,

You nailed what it is I love about this technique, this style or genre of photography. You’ve taken what might normally be an ordinary subject - perhaps not even worth of a serious nature photographer… and transformed the subject in to something entirely unique and unexpected. I love the lines/patterns and the tonal range - AND with that tonal range only makes me wonder what the colors might be? But certainly, this is outstanding as b&w.

I love this stuff - and your image is exactly why.

Lon

Gorgeous, David. I haven’t tried black and white ICM, but this is inspiring. I love the textures in the lights and darks. The simplicity of this one, combined with texture, make it very intriguing and enigmatic.
ML

Love this David! I can’t think of anything new to add that hasn’t already been mentioned, but the minimalist approach, the textures, the diagonals, the tones and the crop all work together to make this a great image!

Super clean, super sleek, simple. Love it.

@linda_mellor, @Alfredo_Mora, @EgĂ­dio, @Lon_Overacker, @Marylynne_Diggs, @AndreDonawa, and @Matt_Payne thank you for the great comments. I truly appreciate it.

Lon, you are right, normally I would have walked right past this scene. But with ICM in mind and working on vertical trees, I thought I’d experiment with these fallen ones.

Here’s the color version. I like it too, but the B&W really shows off the luminescense.

1 Like

oooh, wow this is cool too! Thank you for posting the color version. This one has a whole different impression - and it doesn’t include trees… The green up top make me immediately think of a night time image, maybe lik night vision, and the logs are instead beams of light… or something like that.

Hmmmm, I may like the simplicity and impact of the first a little better - but enjoying the color version quite a bit too!

Thanks David!