Weathered

I came across a wonderful log in a nature preserve near my home. It was about 10 feet long and 3 feet in diameter. It had been there for a while, aged, weathered, silvered. I probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought had I not been looking for potential ICM subjects. I spent quite a bit of time trying to capture the texture of the wood.

Here’s a B&W version:

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

23mm, 0.4 sec @ f/10, ISO 160

Both versions work equally well but my preference is for the color. It brings out a little more of the texture. Great attention to the details- the diagonal flow and balancing the corners.

1 Like

What a striking image, David. I love the color version more for one particular reason: that dash of color in the center contrasting with the rest. The texture you captured is amazing, too.

1 Like

Hi David, fantastic image with loads of texture and nice diagonal lines. The darker corners bother me a bit but that is just nitpicking. I do prefer the color version over the black and white version. Great job!

1 Like

Wonderful image David.

I agree with @annalwilson that the color version works better in terms of bringing out texture - at least any texture that could be implied in an image of motion… :slight_smile:

Hard to suggest anything, but if anything, I’m inclined to crop as the patterns repeat and I think you don’t lose any of the impression of texture by doing so. I just don’t care for the taller format for most subjects. While I like both the darker top and lower corners, I think I would crop down from the top to say a 4:5 ratio; and I wouldn’t want to lose those colors that are currently toward the bottom. No biggie onthe crop, just a passing thought.

I think there are ways to re-inspire common subjects - like fallen, weathered logs, and ICM is a tool to do just that. Great work David!

1 Like