Fast Moving Mallard

This juvenile male Mallard Duck must have been showing off or just full of it because he started running and flapping like he was going to take off but then suddenly dove head first and came back up still flapping and moving fast. I was on him, thinking I was going to catch a take-off shot so I caught most of the action. I like this particular frame because it showed all the water still coating him as he came back up.

Specific Feedback Requested

Normally I wouldn’t bother processing an image where the subject is leaving the frame but this one works for me because the big splash on the left side helps tell the whole story and shows the motion as compared to a duck just doing the bird bath thing. Would love to hear opinions about the composition.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, FE200600G + 1.4X TC @ 741 mm (1111mm w/crop factor), ISO-800, f/9.0, 1/4000, hand held.

Now that is a duck in a hurry! I think the moving out of the frame emphasizes it quite well. Good choice to crank up the shutter speed this high. Love it. The sheeting action and the droplets are really great.