Father and Son

Photographed in Ngorongoro in 2017. Our guide noticed it was raining at the opposite end ( 10- 12 miles away ), and anticipated with cooling off, that these lions might come out and put on a show for us - and was he right!

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I am not particular - could do with the finer points suggestions - thnak you

Technical Details

1 Like

Karl,

Thanks for submitting.

What a great shot of a moment of generational interaction! Males rarely play with the cubs so this is a super special moment.

I like the visual appeal of this image because there is contrast between the lions and the green background. It’s a great crop and I applaud you for making sure that tip of the tail is included! We often times clip those tails and if feels like something is missing from the photo.

About editing, that grass in front is a little too light tonally close to the color of the lions. Would love to see some slight contrast and depth added so it frames the lions. also, I would add a touch of warmth to the cats to bring them out more. Another trick is to vignette the edges darker slightly to put the eye’s focus on the lions.

There is an interesting choice in these kinds of scenarios…the closer the animals are to the back ground, you can go one of two ways…one way is to bokeh those bushes and really have the cats stand out or you can expand the DOF and make everything through out the frame tack sharp.

When in these situations and if the playing continues, try playing with wide open all the way up to F20. Se e which ones you like the best. Just remember to keep that shutter speed up because another cub could come flying into the scene at any moment.

I have a soft spot for Tanzania and the Crator so these prides mean a lot to me.

I am curious if you have more frames of this moment and the lions have their eyes more open or focused forward?

The connection of them with each other is fabulous.

Hope that is helpful.

Julie

Thank you very much Julie - Too bad there wasnt more separation between the background and the subjects
I am planning to enter this image in my club’s Nature competition - hence wont to be able to make spome of those edits you suggested - but I do get the point!