+Rework Morning cuddles with Dad

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I recently spent an early morning photographing a pride of lions in a conservancy adjacent to the Maasai Mara. Many of the pride’s young cubs were engaged in mock attacks and playfighting, expending pent-up energy from a good night’s sleep, as their mothers looked on. At the edge of the scene a lioness seemed to deliberately lead her young cub away from the fray, taking him to an area where the pride male relaxed on a small rise, observing the activities. Directing the cub to remain, the mother moved away a short distance but kept an eye on proceedings, bringing to mind the way human mothers drop their children off at daycare. As I watched, the male reached out and drew the cub towards him, not with any intention of harm but to wrap the cub in his large paws and pull him into a warm fatherly embrace. I have not often had the opportunity to photograph the ‘King of Beasts’ behaving as a doting father.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is welcome Feedback on composition, lighting and elements of story is particularly appreciated.

Technical Details

Camera equipment used: Nikon D850, with Nikkor 300mm f2.8 lens. Settings: 1/320 sec @f2.8, ISO 280, EV: -0.33. Standard post-processing with Lightroom Classic

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Awww, that’s kind of a sweet moment. That little tail. No doubt the cub had a good interlude with dad. The social organization of this species is so fascinating. I think this demonstrates the various roles of the males quite well. The female could be toned down a bit with regard to exposure - she’s quite brightly lit, but out of focus so it’s a bit confusing as the other two are sharp, but not as bright. Just a thought.

This is such a wonderful moment Garnet. I love the tenderness of the huge male lion with the tiny little cub. I also really appreciate the watchful yet approving look of momma in the BG. I can see reducing the bright highlights in the momma as suggested by @Kris_Smith helping to put more emphasis on the poppa and cub. I love your series of posts this month, please keep them coming.

Thank you for the feedback @Kris_Smith . I have now made corrections (masked lioness, and reduced whites, highlights and exposure), and re-posted the image.

Thank you @Ed_Williams . I can assure you that there will be more big cat images in the future :wink:

1 Like

I like where you’re going with the re-work, a bit less subtle than I would have done it, but possibly that’s only by comparison with the first version. Coming to it fresh without seeing the difference might not be as obvious. Sweet moment.