Favorite Herald

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Growing up in Southern Indiana, one of the first heralds of spring was the redbud trees. Chrissy and I both love these trees and we have a number of different varieties in our garden and lawn. This is a Purple Plum Redbud. Its leaves start out this deep color and don’t turn green until they have become full grown several weeks and sometimes a few months into the season. This was also one of my rare forays into stacking. I could have gotten everything on the branch sharp with f16 or f22 but the BG was awful so I decided to stack instead of trying to blur the BG in PS.

Specific Feedback

The only thing that bugs me about this shot is the branch end exiting the frame on the left. I suppose I could prune it in PS but not sure if I could make it look natural. Perhaps it’s a non-issue for you. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 178mm, 16mm XT
ISO 400, 1/320 @ f8, 5 image stack

2 Likes

The new remove tool will get rid of that branch no problem. You can use different opacities of brush and layer if you need to futz with it and this image deserves futzing. What a gorgeous arrangement and I love the harmonious and contrasting colors. Not to mention the structure of the main branches and the way they themselves contrast with the leaves. Such a lovely addition to your garden. Do you give tours?

1 Like

Beautiful image, Bill. The exiting branch is a non-issue to me, but as @Kris_Smith noted, it wouldn’t be too difficult to remove in a number of ways. For someone who doesn’t stack, you did a good job on this. In the largest image, the furthest flower is looking just a bit soft, but without pixel peeping it looks fine. I also think I see one slightly soft spot on that furthest leaf, but again you have to really be looking hard to notice it.

Completely wonderful!! Stacking was perfect here to give that gorgeous BG. The colors are wonderful and the leaves gesture toward the new flowers.

I would zoom in and do some cloning with a very small brush to cut that branch at the bud. Then, with a clean break, the rest should be easy to remove. The plain old-fashioned Patch tool works wonders in cases like this and is so easy to use.

Bill, Redbuds are a favorite spring flower for me also. I’m seeing the first signs of spring growth here. In the largest view there are several soft spots, especially in the leaves. If you used Photoshop for stacking, that a well known and long standing problem, that I’m surprised Adobe has never fixed. The “greens of spring” background adds well to the feeling.