Transition

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My redbud on a rainy morning this past April as the colorful buds begin to fade and the leaves begin to emerge. Even though the buds were past their prime and not as vibrant, I found myself liking the color combination. This was a three image stack to get as much of the tree sharp while trying to keep the trees in the BG soft.

Specific Feedback

I do not believe I posted this one before so any thoughts you have are always appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 200mm, f 11 @1/15 sec, ISO 400, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod.

The transitions of trees in the spring is more subtle in color than in the fall, but I think it can be very lovely. This image does a nice job of capturing it. Ideally, as you pointed out, the redbuds would be a little more vibrant as compared to the green of the trees, but the image still works. Using stacking to control depth of focus, rather than using it to keep everything sharp, is a technique I’ve played with as well. It can be very effective.

1 Like

Ed, getting the tree bark sharp was a good option for the image. The stacks revealed texture and details while keeping the leaves soft. The overall image and colors are very pleasing and balanced.

1 Like

Ed, this one requires seeing the LARGE version to really appreciate the artful look of this scene. I’m sure many of us would miss this opportunity, me included, to really stop and see the beauty you saw in this complex composition… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks so much guys @WillR, @EgĂ­dio and @Paul_Breitkreuz for your kind words. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image.

1 Like

Ed, while this doesn’t show off the Redbud at it’s best, I am enjoying how abstract it feels with its scattered patches of color. You’ve handled the dof well, with your stack, separating the Redbud from the background while retaining shapes in the background.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts on this image @Mark_Seaver. Glad you enjoyed it.